GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: Roland Store

I use a Yamaha ERG121, with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge position and a Yamaha 15 Watt amp that came along with the guitar. I've always had noise problems, I've tried using the noisegate in the GT-10 but as always, too much gate kills your sound; The sustain dies, pinch harmonics are far from reach and the sound is just terrible. But after using other guitars with the GT-10 I've noticed that the problem is from my cheap guitar, even after installing the X2N I still have some noise issues but they're surmountable. The effects on this thing look like they're never gonna end! It has everything from just plain overdrive, to basically a techno song disguised as a guitar patch! All the effects sound nice, but there are a few which I think are there just for fun, I think they shouldn't be on the software to begin with. But then again, you can just delete them if you want to. As for people who wants sounds based on their favorite artists, they'll be impressed with the sounds on the GT-10. The down side is that the sounds are not 100% identical to those of the artists, but you can easily change that by tweaking the parameters a bit and you'll sure get it spot on! Some of the effects I've used that are based on actual bands included stuff for Slayer, Pantera, Nirvana, Slipknot, Korn, Rage Against The Machine, Van Halen and Disturbed. Other effects like delay, chorus and stuff like that are really nice. There's all kinds of delay, and you can tap the delay according to the tempo of the song. The expression pedal serves as Wah, Volume and Whammy pedal, but you can also assign it to control how much gain you want, or the duration of a delay and anything of that sort. It also includes a 40 second phrase looper with overdub, you can play a riff and add on top of it some more riffs! A cool thing that comes with the GT-10 is a 4 page reference to all the patches on board; The name, a detail of the sound and even a suggestion on whether to use this patch on a single pickup or a humbucker!

I play Metal mostly and it hasn't let me down and I don't think it will, other than Metal is has literally any other genre of music you can think of! I've been playing for almost 5 years and I don't own any previous stomp boxes or effect pedals, the GT-10 is my first and my only pedal and I'm not planning on changing that any time soon. The thing I regret the most is not having enough money to buy a new guitar that would bring out everything in this unit, because my guitar isn't fulfilling all of my musical needs. So if you have a crappy guitar and wanted to buy this unit, make sure you'll have enough money in the future to buy a new guitar. I'd definitely buy this unit again if anything happened to it or got stolen. What I love about it is it's ease of use, it's almost dumbass proof. The thing I hate about it is that the phrase looper could've had a longer duration than 40 seconds, you can't change banks while the looper is on. I wish there was an option where the looper would count you in the riff with a metronome of some sort because I have some trouble with timing my foot with my guitar and syncing all of that with the drums because once you tap on it, it starts recording, which is not always good. I also wish it had a drum Machine because it would've definitely improved and made writing music a 100 times more fun. Sure the looper helps, but a drum Machine would've been nice. I chose this pedal because I think it supplies anything a musician can ask for with almost no drawbacks, and I'm definitely eager to see what Boss is gonna do to top this one!

This thing is built like a tank, and definitely could be used on a gig without backup. I had a semi-hard gig bag custom made for it so it keeps it protected against any bumps on the road. On stage or in a place with crappy lights, the LED screen is really helpful with its blue light, and its intensity can be controlled to your liking.

I live in Egypt, I got this for 3300 EGP from a Roland certified store here. I've had the pedal for almost 2 years I believe, and it just keeps amazing me! I'm the laziest person ever so I haven't actually tried to read the manual. Until recently I've been using the factory presets but because my guitar is so crappy (a Yamaha ERG121) I wasn't very pleased with the sound that came out. I recently put a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge position on that guitar, and I've successfully made my own "sound" based on the factory presets. What also helped is that I purchased a DVD (can't remember what it's called) it helps me get through the pedal without having to read the manual. For example, I took the Broken Dime patch, adjusted the distortion and compression. Anything I could think of concerning adding or removing to the sound I can easily accomplish because the interface is very easy and it's all displayed by graphs and stuff! and there are numerous display modes so it should please everybody. the EZ tone feature is also great! you can make your sound from literally nothing! it's basically a process of narrowing down until you reach exactly what you want, and afterwards you can save your sound to use it.

zakarai
    Hmm. Multi-Effects aren't much popular around musicians but can certainly do the trick! Looks like a fair board and I'm sure it does the trick. Just don't use dist. or overd. because they sound better coming from an amp with good tubes. Just stick with using normal effects pedals. Boss is definitely good with effects.
    dementiacaptain
    one of the best multi fx out there. i jammed with a guy who had one of these, and it sounded so big and thick.
    jonny slickhead
    too hard too use and i barely get time too play so i cant waste my time tryin too learn how too use this thing i bought one and then i brung it back 3 weeks later id mess with it a few hours a night and its too hard too figure it out might as well spend the right cash and get a tube amp