GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: Furtados, India

I'm using an Aria Strat style guitar with HSH Pick up config. Through a Spider IV. It's a decent guitar acoustically and the Pick ups are average, primairly suited for the blues, blues rock, funk and maybe jazz. I'm a blues guy trying to get into jazz but I do play some metal (tool, soad) and hard rock. The pickups on my guitar are passives, and metal tones aren't normally great. With the GT 10, however, I can get good/great metal tones. Crisp distortion for rhythm and lead, with various amp models etc. can give you pretty much any sound you're looking for. As an effects processor, this thing is brilliant. Another thing, I was thinking of getting a guitar with EMG's cause I really like the 81/85 sound, but with the right amount of compression and eq, I can get the same sound out of my stock passives! I also experiment with psy rock/ stoner rock etc. and the quality of the choruses, flangers, phasers, delays, reverbs, wahs etc. is excellent. It is customizable as hell and if you've got a tone in mind, you can definately get it out of this unit. The effects really are top notch, comparable to analog pedals this unit claims to model. You do, however, need to know what you're doing to get something out of this unit.

I play blues/rock/funk, some metal and a lil bit of jazz. I used to gig regularly (once or twice a week) up until about 6 months ago, and I've been playing for about 3 years. I wish I knew how complicated it would be to figure this thing out before I'd bought it, and if it were stolen, I may buy something else. I would hunt the guy down though cause it cost me a load of cash, but other than that, maybe I'll start slowly building a full analog effects chain. The tones are great, but its not easy to figure out. Please don't buy it thinking that just by using the EZ Tone feature, you'll be able to get what ever tone by turning a few dials. It's not going to happen. It will take some time to get used to this thing. I haven't owned any Boss multi effects processos before, so perhaps for those already initiated into Boss products, the learning curve might be smoother, but it took me a lot of time. Its a very good unit, very versatile, extremely customizable but its not the easiest one to use. Cheers!

This unit is dependable. Metal casing, solid foot switches, buttons etc. I would still be careful with it, as I'm sure if I dropped it accidentally, the repairs wouldn't be cheap, but I have used it on gigs without back up. Also, it would be pretty hard to replace/backup as you'd need an army of effects pedals, and no way in hell can you customize an analog effects chain with the push of switch.

It is NOT easy to figure out how to use this beast. I've had it for about 3 months now, and I've refrained from writing a review as I've been figuiring this thing out. The GT 10 is a beast. It has Killer effects and is the most customizable effects processor that I know of in terms of signal path, I/O config and individual effects. Because it is such a complex beast, it is insanely difficult to get a decent sound out of it from scratch. True, you can use the EZ tone feature and get a half decent tone, but if you spend a shit load of cash on and effects processor, shouldn't you know how to use it? I had to buy an instructional DVD in the end to decipher this thing. The manual is shit. It doesn't explain anything at all. I mean, even the effects/parameters are not well explained. It didn't even help as a starting point. Editing patches, once you have this thing figured out a bit, is easier. If you don't know your way around (even perfunctairly), you're f*cked. Upgrading the firmware, etc is not much of a hassle. It doesn't come with a USB cable though.

Marshall 01
    Hey..GT-10 owners i have a simple question.. If i have a Roland Ev-5 Expression pedal, Can I have a wah and whammy pedals set at the same time..(Wah on the gt-10 exp-pedal and whammy on the Ev-5)..Am just askin coz i heard that in order to assign the whammy u have to deactivate the wah..So plz try it and tell me.. Chears
    LJHarris
    colashanacogh wrote: dodz07 wrote: i am currently comapring between this pedal and the zoom g9.2tt i really dont know which is better so i would appreciate any opinion same here! which did you get??
    Seriously, you must try them both out dont take anybody s advise except your own. Every one has their own musical taste thats why we dont all listen to the same music
    Lame_Guitarist
    I'm still a newbie for a multieffect. Can you guys tell me which one is better for a rythm guitarist that doesn't need too many sound effect like me, GT-10 or ME-50?
    mitchell.minami
    Does this pedal allow for manual tone modelling, as opposed to the EZ Tone? I like to do my own modelling, thank you.
    Cpiu76
    Hi Guys, I bought recently the GT-10, the price was very convenient ( 390).....and the sound is GREAT!!!!!