GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: Allegro (Venezuela)

This pedalboard is very easy to use, it takes less than a week to get used to it and get the most out of it. It has two screens, knobs, buttons and pedals that will allow you to control everything thats going on while you play in a very simple, friendly way. When creating a patch or a sound, the pedalboard has a function called the "EZ tone," where you put the music style (metal, '60s brit rock, blues, etc), if you are playing rhythm or lead, and you can instantly get in less than a minute a sound very similar to what you are looking for, and you can later configurate it to make it sound exactly as you want it to. The instructions manual is very helpful. Using it and practicing constantly will let you have total control of your pedalboard very quickly, since it shows you everything thats going on with the screens and the led lights, in a very simple way.

The sound on the GT-10 is very good both using an amplifier or through a PC, having used another multieffects pedalboards like the DigiTech RP1000 I can tell it sounds very real despite being a digital effect.

This pedalboard has a lot of different effects, distortions and amp models, going from the classics such as delay, chorus, reverb and flanger, to another effects that aren't that common like the humanizer, slicer or ring mode, passing through another really cool effects like the harmonizer, the pitch shifter, and the expression pedal effects like pedal bend (whammy) and wah wah. They are not as good as the original analog effects, but if you learn to set them right you can get a really good sound.

The distortions vary from warm, soft distortions like the blues driver or the OD-1, to pretty heavy, high gain distortions like the Metal Zone or the Tube Screamer. There are distortions that fit really well for rhythm and riff playing, as there are some that sound very smooth for playing solos.

The amp models go from classic Marshall clean and distorted amps and Fender Tweed, to modern models like the Mesa Boogie or the "Boss" amps. It allows you to control the same settings that every amp would let you adjust such as Bass, Treble, Presence, etc, as a very cool "solo boost" that will add a little more of punch to the sound while playing solos. The Phrase Loop is one of my favourite functions, since it lets you create a 38 second loop with all the layers you want to add, allowing you to develop some very cool riffs, or create a backing for solo playing and improvising.

As every other Boss pedal I've got the chance to use, the GT-10 is build to last; by using it you can tell it won´t break easily no matter what you do with it. I've been using mine for more than 3 years, I've standed on it, dropped it, disconnected it while in use, and it is as good as the day I bought it. Every single pedal, knob, screen and led light work perfectly, so I can say you can depend on it for both live playing and studio recording without fear of breaking it. Compared to the other multieffects that I've used like the DigiTech RP1000, the GT-10 looks way more resistant, since it has a very metallic look, unlike the DigiTech that seems to be plastic and fragile.

I'm into hard rock/metal, but I also like to play clean, kind of acoustic stuff, and the Boss GT-10 fits perfectly to both styles, sounding very impressive when recorded through a PC. My gear is a Marshall MG30FX and a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and I've used it with another like the Roland Cube and a Fender Stratocaster, and I can tell it sounds same as good on both.

In general terms the effects sound very similar to the stompboxes, and you can create a really complex sound, since you can put in the same patch reverb, chorus, delay, distortion, compression, wah or whammy, and two more effects that you choose, such as harmonist, pitch shifter, flanger, phaser, vibrato, humanizer, acoustic simulator, etc, etc. I really love the Phrase Loop, it works excellent if you want to create a riff or a backing track, and I've jammed with it for hours, even days, and I never get tired of it.

I would definitely buy another if it got stolen or lost (cause I know it wont get broken), because it has changed totally the sound I can get with my guitar trough my amp, and now I depend on it for every single time I play, since it gives me so many different varieties of sounds and effects that sound so good despite being a digital multieffects.