GT-6 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-6 Guitar Effects Processor

Sound quality is pretty good. Amp and cabinet emulations get pretty close to the intended sounds. There will never be anything quite like plugging directly into a Vintage amp, but this unit gets pretty close. The GT-6 is a fairly quiet unit, decent reverbs, chorus, delays, and the pallet of other effects that one would expect from a multifunction effects unit. I use this unit with a 1963 Fender Showman, an early 90's Crate Classic 30, and plugged straight into the PA, depending on the need. I've used it in church settings as well as Live concert settings, with great success. The output mode enables a person to select what the GT-6 is plugged into, and tailors the output sound a bit depending on what is selected (PA, combo amp, JC-120, etc. are some of the 'output' options). While it's more 'stuff' to carry around, I occasionally will plug the guitar first into a tube preamp (an ART device with a 12AX7) just to warm things up a bit before running through the GT-6. That helps the sound a bit, but honestly, most listeners would probably not be able to tell the difference, so splitting hairs is mainly for the person that can appreciate what real tubes can do for the sound. One more thing - it really does make a difference when high-quality cables are used. Don't buy the cheap stuff - all the high end and some of the punch goes away...

I play metal and classical, classic rock and it has never failed me. I have been playing for 5 years and have had it for 4. B\.C\. Rich, Ibanez, Dean, Epiphone guitars, Dunlop Wah, MXR and Boss effects besides this pedal. I wish I had asked if there was another version coming out in like six months after I got mine. I would get the GT-8 model instead because it seems like it's more versatile but I can't complain about his one. I wish I could use multiple FX-1 or FX-2 effects like compressor and vibrato or for instance Uni V and phaser at the same time. Although my favorite feature is the effects swell.

I assume if you're reading this, you've at least seen the GT6 before. Made from some Solid Metal, probably steel. It's a monster. I can depend on it, I do depend on it, and the only problem is when the drummer isn't playing, and decides to walk round, but accidentally steps on one of the leads going into it, pulling it out. But generally, not everyone has a dim drummer to do so. But yeah. If this thing broke, I doubt I'd believe it.

Factory presets are good starting points. A 'quick' read through the manual along with working the somewhat intuitive knobs and controls can get a person started making great sounds pretty quick. Editing patches is very easy once a person gets behind the logic of the programmers. Have not been able to figure out how to store settings for different types of delays, for example. That's not quite obvious or well documented in the manual...

ibanez570
    and so you know i own the gt-6 and the vox tonelab and both are amazing!!! but i would never waste my money on anything digitech!!
    telecaster84
    Boss will never catch up with Digitech or Line 6. Spend on the Digitech RP series with DNA2 processing and you will never go back to BOSS. COSM by: Roland needs to up their game honestly. Digitechs amp emulation is dead on. Though Line 6 amp modeling is not on par with Digitech, the delays and such sound a bit better than Digitech. VOX tonelab also blows the Boss multi-effects. How is Boss still selling such over rated material?
    sparxx88
    after years of using vox tonelab and digicrap i thought i might try the gt-6 and it just blows me away im 50 and play in a band im lead guitar and play mostly ste vai satch malmsteen type stuff so if your not playing a crap axe like a telecaster you will love the gt-6 i play a vai 7v through a carvin stack the gt-6 just completes the picture