GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: Dawsons Music Store

I run an Epiphone G400 w/Seymour Duncan JB-4's, into Boss GT-8, into Line 6 112 Spider II 75 Watt Amp and on the first go, I didn't get the tone I shouldve been getting. There seems to be a clash of moddelling technologies. Modelling pedal into a modelling amp is a no no. So, I had to change the settings on the pedal to compensate, and now, I'm getting some good tones from it. First thing you really need to do is set the foundations of the pedal. make sure all your levels are right. This will stop clipping and give you a much better, less muddy, less harsh sound. You can pretty much get any sound you could ever want from this box. I can be noisy at times, when there are a few effects that amplify the gain etc, but this can generally be rectified using the EQ and changing the effects orders. I'd advise against using the noise suppressor as it really kills your sustain.

Playing mostly progressive rock and rock, I needed a pedal that could give me a lot of effects and some solid distortions. The GT-8 gives me that and I couldnt be more pleased. Some complain about the preamps in the GT-8, but I think they're great. They might no be true to the real life amps, but they're pretty good, but you can always bypass the preamp and just use the effects! If it was stolen it would be rebought, unless Boss bring out the next one by then, then I'll be buying that one. I'm currently trying to track down a GT-3, as it can do certain things the GT-8 cant. This is due to design limitations and comprimises. The GT-6 was the same. So, it's not really a let down.

The unit is metal and could take some severe punishment on stage for sure. And the pedals themselves are solid, as with all Boss products. I doubt they could take the same amount of punishment as a stomp box, but theyd withstand a fair bit. It's a Boss product, they're built to last. It'll probably out live me!

At first glance, the unit can be quite daunting. But after sitting down with it and have a tweak for a good few hours, yes it takes a while, you can start to get a good few tones from it. The manual is not very helpful to be honest. it's more of a brief guide showing how to operate the unit in a basic way. There are a few sites around that'll give you much more help dialling in a sound, such as bossgtcentral.com. Editing and creating the patches and sounds just takes patience. This really isnt the unit to buy if you want your own sound quickly. The preset sounds are useful, but they are just to demonstrate what you can get from the unit, I wouldn't use them straight. Possibly after tweaking, but never on their own. The real time knobs are useful changing certain parameters on the fly, useful if you need to tweak something small whilst your playing.