GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: musicians friend

I use it through a clean set tube amp. It also sounds great through a p.a. I still think a modeling processor isn't quite as good as the real deal but close and the versatility is amazing. To get all the sounds in here individually would cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You can tweak your own individual sound. You can run two amps at once with different settings for a blend. It's cool. I thinks the amps sims have better distortion than the pedal sims. Digital units like this sometimes don't cut through in a band setting.

This unit can create endless tonal variations. There are several eq's you can use all over the place. Thankfully you can access the ez tone sound for all the effects and distortions etc. It took me a long time to adjust this how I like it, but if you want to take the time every aspect is variable. Just read the manual all the way through. I've been playing for almost 30 yrs. and the convenience is great for gigging. No more worrying about all these pedal cables and finding the bad cable, etc. I could also do without it cuz I also have a simple pedal board that is easy to use.

Very sturdy. Boss has a rep for being tough. No problems for me with any Boss gear in that respect. I've used this for gigging and never had a problem. I would use it without a backup. You can't use batteries with this. It has a power cord with a big transformer in the middle of it.

Well first off, I'll say I have a good tone that my band and I all really like. There is a secret! Scroll down to see the secret. But to get there took a lot of tweaking. You have to set up different settings depending on what you play out of. The variations are endless if you want to go that deep. Thankfully there are "ez sounds" that are already set up tones you can use. Be sure to read the manual carefully to discover how to really get the most out of this. You have to study it. ****MY BEST TONE DISCOVERY FOR THE GT-8*** is this: my guitar has very high output, so I was giving too HOT a signal to the GT-8 and everything was overdistorted and fizzy. You have to reduce the input signal. I lowered mine by 10 decibals and it sounds great now! Here's how you do it: press the system button, then press the right parameter button til you see it read SYS: Input level. Use the dial to cut the input level. Experiment with your guitar to see what works for you. My Gibson Les Paul with a 500T needed to be cut by 10 dB. Set the output select for line/phones and go with that. I also turn off the pre amps in the unit. My amp already has a pre amp working you know? The effects are all really good, just remember to ease off on the levels and be subtle. Cut your distortion gain very low and move up if needed to find a good tone. If you max it it's to fizzy.

Reaper/chaos
    ok this thing is a work of art!!! you can bring this thing to wherever you go without lugging around a few hundred pedals!! The headphone jack makes it to where you can plug your ordinary set of amphones in and jam until you drop no amp required. im sorry if it has too many buttons for some brains to count but hey... look at all that it does! its deffinetly a great addition to any arsenal!!
    Kaingel
    This is a very good multi FX unit but like one review says,it does not compare to real pedals. For home recording use it works fine. I use mxr pedals and they blow any boss product away imo but everyone has there own tone needs and multi FX just don't do it for me. One thing I can say though is the gt8 sounds better than the newer gt10 after playing through friends units.
    Lord Waltaa
    alexcorreia wrote: I read all of the reviews and everybody seems to be a bedroom player to me. That's why it's got 9's and 10's. A professional gigging guitarist would never give a 9 or a 10. Again, if it's a hobby this is great, but if you're serious about gigging, touring, etc, skip it and go get a nice tube amp and a few good effects pedals. Don't buy Boss Distortions, they are bees in cans.
    Mikael Akerfeldt uses a GT6. He never gigs without it. I have the GT8, I had to put a LOT of work into this piece of equipment (I'm talking years of tweaking and finetuning) and finally I have a product that can never be replaced. True, it's hard for some mentally ill 'guitarists' to sit down and search for the right setting for hours on end, but once you get the hang of it you're sure to have the best tone in the whole ****ing world. You'd be surprised how many professional musicians get on stage with one of the GT series on the floor before them. Also, as you can read in every review here, it's indestructible, so it was DESIGNED to endure the abuse of gigging.