GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Boss: GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: ebay

It's simple, if you have a low range solid state amp the gt8 is going to blow you mind. I used with and 15 watt create amp first and a maple guitar (body and neck) with Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and a SJBJ-1 in the neck. I bought a Peavey 6505 then I started to use the 4 method cable, just to used it for effects and eq, but as soon I got my MXR 10 bands eq, the GT-8 become a factor that wreaks my sound, so I quit to gt8, I tries o lot of set ups but the gt8 ruined the nice tube sound of my amp. Well, the gt8 is excellent to people that is always experimenting with effects, but for people like me that likes a good nice a solid tone is not the best option. Gt8's tones are to mechanic, not natural. Distortions are unreal and noisy. You can get a lot of tones (is a good option for a cover band) but, always you are going to feel that something is missing, like artificial.

This is a great multieffects but like most of them it offers a bunch of tones but not a quality tones.

The GT-8 is a tank, its chassis and controls are tough. The GT-8 can be your plan b if something happen, this is not my main sound but for small gigs, practice is great.

The GT-8 has a bunch of effects and tones, but it's not easy to find a good tone, you can spend hours experimenting sets but at the end the bets way is using the defaults patches. And I think that some times is over fill of parameters. And this can be good, but when you have to look and fast and easy tone some times can take it a lot to get it.

ragingben
    Agreed, the GT8 is a great peice of kit that many professionals still use. I had trouble getting decent sounds out of it, but it was a) because my amp was utter shit, and b) I didn't have a clue. Came back to it a few years on and I'm getting incredible tones out of it, using my amps (H&K Tubemeister 36) preamp. It is an awesome all in one fx unit/midi controller for me and when set up correctly I don't notice any tone suck whatsoever. At the end of the day it will osund awful through a crappy amp, like anything else. Through the FX return of a decent tube amp you should be able to get greta tones from the GT8's preamps as long as you use the parameters within moderation.
    ragingben
    That is if you want to use the Boss GT8's preamps... great to have there as a back up incase your amp breaks down mid gig though.