GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor

Purchased from: online

I am using this a few different guitars mainly a PRS Custom 24, a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Strat and an Epiphone Les Paul (with Gibson 490R & 498T Pick ups. I have a few amps but this unit really shines when used with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on the clean channel with the Bright Switch engaged. I don't used the 4 cable method as my amps is super clean anyway and a great blank Canvas on which to work with so I go from the guitar to the GT-8 and out into the amp. I have got the thing set up with some 30 odd patches of my own so far but keep adding to it daily. I Have clean sounds which have the onboard pre amps disabled as my HOT Rod has a great glassy spanky clean tone. However this clean channel on my amp handles the Boss GT-8 very very well in all ways. Ironically I have the output on the GT-8 set to JC-120. With the pre amps engaged and properly EQ'd, I have some great sounds at my feet. Hetres some of what I have - A string of patches with the dirty boogie models, various delays and modulations on top, a whole bunch of 5150 patches with long analog delays and Phaser to get the EVH sound, a heap of crunchy Vintage Marshall sounds with univibe and analog delay for trippy swirly Hendrix sounds (great when you kick in the Wah too). The unit will sound different obviously depending on what amp you use and if you switch amps ou may need to re tweak eq a bit or experiment with different output types etc to match your amp or PA.

I really like this unit a lot. With tweaking, and patience, it gives you a lot to work with live. The amp modelling is VERY convincing when properly set up, and the GT-8 is a very powerful tool to have - especially if you play in a covers band as I do where we play all styles of stuff like rock, pop, blues, jazz, country... I have been using a pedal board with stomp boxes for years mainly and decided to stick with the GT-8 and this is a much cleaner and easier set up. If you love your amp and want to use its Overdrive channels you can use the 4 cable method, it works very well too. I am very happy with a simple 2 cable method and my Fender hotrod amp. GT-8's can be had cheaply now and are a real bargain if you can get your hands on one. I owned mine from new since 2006 after they came out but only really just started to explore it on and off this last year or so. I wish the display was a bit larger I suppose but its not a big deal for me.

Its tough, in true Boss tradition, this one will handle hard gigging but put it in a decent case and don't do stupid stuff like Pick up the power supply by the dc lead etc. I got a free Boss gig bag with mine which keeps the unit well protected. I would recommend using right angled jacks with it if you play in pubs with no stages where the pople dance very close to the stage, I have almost had my unit damaged by drunk punters on several occasions so I plan to build a small platform for it out of plywood just to keep it up from floor level.

I found it confusing at first, but after playing with it for a while, its actually very easy to create and store sounds, Its just a very simple routine you have to get into and put in the time. I personally prefer to build each patch from scratch. I hate people trashing this great unit because the pre amps 'sound too digital' etc. I have been playing for over 30 years, used all sorts of equipment and can assure you if you take time to tweak the pre amp dials and use the EQ properly to shape your tone, you will get some pretty convincing sounds out of the GT-8 and will be rewarded greatly... Read on.

randymelick
    The Boss GT8 is phenomenal! As with all Boss/Roland products, the presets are not set for anyone seriously playing out or recording. They are only starting points. You need to really get into understanding how to fully program this thing in order to achieve any imaginable sound you want. I use this with a Vox Big Ben Tube Overdrive pedal in the front, which really warms up the sound and I play it through a Peavey Classic 30, which is just a great amp! As for guitars...I have too many and am constantly using different ones, with different pickups and mods all the time. I've also been playing since 1993 and have an insane amount of sound engineering experience, starting from 1994, as well. I have been playing out consistently since 1995 and have worked with many well known artists. This is a serious pedal for anyone taking their music and performance seriously. Anyone giving this a bad review is out of their minds and are basing their opinion on the presets and their inability to fully utilize this piece of equipment, properly. It is NOT retard friendly, like Line 6, Digitech, Zoom or Korg/Vox multi f/x units. This is an in depth, serious piece of gear for those interested in sound engineering. Let me add...there is no all in one piece of equipment! You will always need to have certain things outside the unit for whatever you are doing, whether it be live or in the studio.