HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

I run this through an Epiphone LP Studio and a Line 6 Spider 2 30watt. The low on the pedal is very nice, while the high sounds kinda crappy. The distortion on this pedal sounds kind of weak, but that just may be because I'm used to using the "insane" channel on my Spider 2. Can get you a nice unique sound though. The distortion is only suitable for old metal in my opinion, but then again it is a pedal made for metal music.

Overall, I think that if you want a good metal pedal you should look for a tube screamer or something because this pedal can sound weak in sustain. I think its discontinued now so if you see it being sold by someone second hand you might as well pickup a bargain. It's a decent pedal but there are much stronger and more toneful distortion pedals on the market, like Ibanez and DigiTech pedals.

Should be able to withstand heavy gigging, after all it is made by Boss, even if it is one of their older models. Like I said the dials are very sensitive so you may want to tape them down on stage.

4 controls. Simple? No. It's hard to get the sound your looking for. The most minute turn of one of the knobs can change the sound of the distortion completely. They also turn very easily and are likely to turn when you step on the pedal while playing live.