HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

Purchased from: eBay

My equipment is also everything but metallish. Epiphone Valve Junior combo plus Squier 51 guitar. I don't play metal anymore, but I can tell you one thing about the sound. There are only two knobs adjusting the tone, the "high"-knob and the "low"-knob, which already indicates at the typical Sabbath/Metallica-character (or at least early Metallica, using practically no middle end, as far as I can recall). It's very good for that old dry '80s sound we hate today, but I managed to extract a nice fuzzy sound which does sound sweet, but at the same time not very bright, as you would expect from my Telecaster/Stratocaster-like guitar. And, obviously, it has got the "kick". Any variation from these settings, especially done to the tone knobs, really messes up the fuzzy sound and we are back to the '80s. So once again, the tone knobs are very sensitive.

The reason I wrote this review was to share my experience with this pedal with you. Maybe now some of you people fed up with metal, like me, won't throw this stompbox away or sell it on ebay and use it as an interesting completion of their pedal collections instead. When I bought it I didn't even test it, not to speak of comparing it to other pedals. I wanted to have something that sounded aggressive and this did the work for me. Now I only use the HM as a fuzz pedal. It's not produced anymore and, Who knows, maybe it's going to be worth a fortune in the future.

I'd probably use it AS a backup, or if I needed some fuzzy type of distortion, but since I bought it used, I wouldn't make a gig dependant on such an antique piece of equipment. Now I must depend on it, because it't currently my only distortion pedal. But I'm getting something more versatile as soon as possible.

First of all, I must say, I play anything but metal. This pedal has been lying covered in dust since my juvenile fascination with heavy sounds vanished. Today I pulled it out because I needed something to "boost" my 5 watt tube amp. And, as you already know, this pedal has extremely sensitive tone knobs. So as you can imagine, it's not easy to get a good sound of it, whereas metal freaks might be excited with the wide spectrum of configurations to experiment with, but for us, laymen, there is only one single configuration which doesn't necessarily sound like Sabbath or Metallica, in my opinion.