HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

I'm currently using a Washburn X25 through a Marshall MG100DFX and, at least, with this setup, I can't hear noise at all. I really do like the distortion. If you are into heavy metal from the 80's, classic rock, hard rock, Grunge or punk rock, this stompbox fits you like a glove! I can get sounds like Kiss, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, The Stooges, Alice in Chains and Pink Floyd(in fact, Gilmour own a HM-2). So, it always sounds great to me, but if you are expeting something like cannibal corpse or Dream Theater, forget it. Ah! there is one thing that I think is important: I don't recommend to play Metallica at all. I mean, it's great to play the kill'em all stuff, but from the ride the lighting on, it just don't work out for me. other thing: if you turn all the knobs to the max, it work great to play Scandinavian death metal like Entombed, but just this kind of death metal!

I play most hard rock, and it is a very good match for stuff like Kiss. I play with this pedal for almost 1 years and just recently I've discovered how to get a good sound of it. but anyway, you have to test before you buying. I would probably purchase the pedal again if I lose it, because it's a really good distortion in a very accessible price. I love how this pedal can sound like the old good bands and, at the same time, I can play a little of modern stuff like Muse(if you put the low knob about 11 o clock, it's sounds like a nervous fuzz sound). I don't like how sensitive the knobs are. somebody told me he sounds like the Marshall Shredmaster, but I've never played one myself. Well, if you are not satisfied with this pedal, you can try a Boss Equalizer GE-7 before it, it should help the sound to reach more modern sounds.

Well, as everybody here said, it's build like a tank, very very hard. It's a Boss. nuff' said. About the battery, in my case, it takes about one month if you play it 2 hours every day. I recommend you remove the battery every time you finish your practicing, it will save the energy from the battery.

Well, first of all, it isn't easy as it looks to get a good sound of it. You have to be pacient and turn all the knobs until you find one sound that please you. It's a very complicate pedal, I mean, it's very versatile, but, at the same time, you can't go to far with it.

DamoPlaysBass
    nevin021s wrote: do they make this anymore?
    no. is vintage. i happen to have one in my possession, and damn, it's great! especially since i got it for free.