HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

Purchased from: Garage sale

I'm using a Gibson SG, straight into this pedal, into my Raven RG60 combo amp. Given the age and well-used nature of the pedal, it's got a bit of noise due to loose connections, but I'm working on that. Like others have said, there was a bit of tweaking involved in getting the precise sound that I wanted, but that's half the fun of using pedals. I'm able to pull off an early Metallica, Black Sabbath, Godsmack sort of sound without too much difficulty.

I've been playing for a few years, and this is my favorite distortion pedal yet. I have something of a small arsenal of them, and a few digital modeling effects units. Out of all of them, if this one pedal were stolen or lost, I'd be willing to pay out the nose to replace it. The only thing I wish is that I had two of these, so I could hand one to the other guitarist in my band.

As near as I can tell, this pedal is literally around twenty years old already. Given that it still functions, I'm willing to bet that it's reliable. Once I get the connections solidified a bit, I have no qualms about using it without a backup. It's built like a tank, so I'm not worried about cracking the housing when I step on it.

This has to be one of the easiest pedals I've ever used. I set the level and distortion for about one-fourth, and the high and low "color mix" knobs to about half, and just tweaked from there. Easy peasy. Within about ten minutes, I'd dialed in the sound I wanted, and went on from there into a two-hour jam session.

shadow__666
    I got a hand-me-down one for Christmas, and I love it already. When used in tandem with my Big Muff, it gives a great My Bloody Valentine-type sound. On its own it's great for punk and thrash.
    GuitarFreak1387
    i just picked one up today, i love this pedal. it takes a bit to get use to eq wise but its awsome. mines a december 88 made, nearly 21 years old and still sounds sweet. proof that boss pedals rock!!
    ayakush
    amazing pedal! my one is from 1988 and it's so simple. i\m always lazy when it comes to tweaking the knobs but this pedal just gives me this sound of motley crue or sex pistols easily! simply amazing!
    Smart Patrol
    The pedal is great for the style it has been made for. In despite of trading it, I thought it deserved a review, since it was my very first pedal.