HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

It sounded very agressive, a very pro effect, but it wasn't for me. The overhelming distortion was very good to play music from Iron Maiden, Metallica, Van Halen, Slayer and others. It was a product of its time, so the sound it produced, although high quality, sounded like something from the past. However, it's still a great pedal, as long as you play it HEAVY. ;)

HM-2 was a pedal that sounded great. I was entering the guitar playing world, and a friend offered me Heavy Metal. Although impressive, the sound didn't satisfy me for the excess of low frequencies, so it was very difficult to use it to play pop or overdriven covers. The DF-2 was much better, much more flexible. Of course, since it never fitted my style, I would never buy it again, but I would recommend HM-2 to every punk/heavy metal player I know. It's sound is very hard, energic. They will enjoy very much taking lots of noise out of it.:)

The impression of it is the same I had from DF-2 Superfeedbacker (the one I got after it). That thing was a nearly Superman-invulnerable device. It could certainly resist to any kind of violence against it. No wonder it was usually the KING OF THE PEDALBOARD. ;)

This was my very first pedal, so it had been a wrong choice for the kind of music I wanted to play. It was an opportunity. The thing came with 4 knobs. The 2 in the middle were separate for BASS and TREBLE, the COLOR MIX section. It allowed more changes in tone, from mid-ranged metallic sound to something very gutural. In theory it could be very versatile, but it wasn't. I had a humbucker guitar and it was very hard to get a non-metal distortion from it. It wasn't the easiest pedal for me, but for my friends HM players, it was the one.