HM-2 Heavy Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-2 Heavy Metal

Purchased from: Goodwill

With 4 knobs, a tone, a level, a colour, and distortion its more than likely that the colour has phased some people which is fine. Its more along the lines of knowing what your looking for, honestly this pedal is as straight forward you can get with at least one extra tone knob which is the colour to experiment with more than a level, a distortion and tone. Its a slap on the wrist but some tweaking and some time and you'll be already on your way to having a good sounding tone. The level is fine though turned up can created some good ol fashioned feedback and some fizz. The distortion is a mixture of OH MY GOD THATS IT! To jeez really that sounds like shit! But like i said its all on how you find and tweak your tone. And the tone is like the colour only just there for you to crank to 10 honestly.

Now the sounds is something like this, either nice thin treble sound for all the gain you want! Or super fuzz lo-fi pedal. I love this thing because its that versatile for a pedal ment for metal! My style of music varies from punk rock to metal to indie to ska ETC. But surprisingly for most of those things it does well in! I use a crate 120 watt amp and i have various guitars and for my single coils, this gets the job done, and with humbuckers this really packs a punch though depending on your settings. It makes some fuzz and most of the time the colour knob or level will make your pedal difficult at times to work with. Though overall it makes me love it that much more because your working for your sound! Some might now like it seeming as it does fuzz and buzz, also its really not for everyone. But for the tone seekers this ones a try!

I got this pedal used and abused at a goodwill and after some cleaning and fixing it really does make a difference. I played this thing in the sand on carpet on concrete and on air... just kidding on that last one. And it has definitely lasted me almost 2 to 3 years! Since being in my first band it was something that everyone loved and got the job done. Its great for a gig if you need some extra drive or punch but it will possibly make noise. The battery will last long if you don't use it up too much but since my first band was a metal band I would change the battery ever other practice. Overall the whole pedal is amazing and I continue to use it!

I love this thing to death. I found used and abused at a goodwill and I remember using it for alot of my band practices with my first band. So it has sentimental value being that its a pedal found used. I have been using this for 2-3 years and it never ceases to amaze me because I just love how versatile it is. To lo-fi indie rock to speed metal even! Sure its not for everyone and that's fine. And some even say this is not a good pedal to begin with in some cases and that's fine as well. But for me this pedal does help me with all the genres I like as well as bringing to the table a unique sound.

Vrstone87
    For those that don't know, this is the pedal that In Flames' earlier tones were built on.
    theogonia777
    Hands down the best distortion pedal ever. Entombed's Left Hand Path has the best guitar tone of any metal album ever, better tone than In Flames or At the Gates, but ultimately what those bands were built from. And they still both had great tones.
    e_ramirez32
    Just picked up the heavy metal HM-2 been a fan of it for a good while now from other bands. Does anybody care to give me an idea where to place my settings for an old school death metal sound. I'm sure i will tweek it later. One band said they turn all their knobs all the way.