HM-3 Hyper Metal review by Boss

Boss: HM-3 Hyper Metal

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

This pedal is a double-edged sword. As mentioned before, it sounds like crap through a cheaper amp, but played through something of higher quality, you can sqeeze a pretty good metal tone, but don't expect anything other then metal. Thats pretty much all this thing was made for. It offers great distortion, and tone (for metal), and Ive managed to get an older Metallica/Megadeth sound out of it. But I wouldn't think of using this pedal alone for a good sound. When I first got it, I played it through a cheap Excell amp, and was a little discouraged, but played through my Peavy combo, with my Epiphone Explorer, my mind was changed. It'll take some playing with, but this pedal would be a good addition to any metal-head's pedalboard.

I play mostly metal, and this pedal holds out pretty good. It has its pros, and cons, but its a pretty good addition to my gear collection. According to the internet, this pedal was only sold from 1993 to 1998. It was one of my first pedals, and after toying with it for a bit I've been able to get some pretty good sounds from it. I even played it through an acoustic-electric amp with decent results! But if you're wanting a bluesy, or rock sound, don't buy it. This pedal is strictly metal.

Its pretty durable, I've taken through hell and back between band practice, and stuff like that, but I wouldn't gig with it without a back up. As mentioned before, don't rely on this pedal alone for a good tone. It would work better as support for your other effect pedals.

I have had this pedal for some time now. Its very easy to use, with four knobs for level, color mix, and distortion. It sounds awful through a cheap amp, but played through a good stack or comb amp, you can get a quite tasty metal tone, so be careful before pegging at as a crappy pedal.