MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

I use it with a Y2K Ibanez GSA-20 (The Gio series. Yes, I know, laugh your ass off) with a Dimebucker in the bridge and a Screamin' Demon in the neck, and a 2k4 Gibson SG Standard with stock pickups. My amp is either a little 8-watt solid state practice amp from back when solid-state technology was new, and a 2003 Crate MX65-R. Both amps are crap, so the pedal buzzes like hell unless you turn your guitar down when you're on full gain boost, but I have played the pedal with both guitars through a Marshall half-stack cranked to eleven with only a very slight humming, so it all really depends on your quality of equipment, especially your cables. The pedal never sounds weak or washed out unless you want it to, and it always sounds wonderful. The best part is that it's very versatile, and the same settings work both for soloing and rhythm work. I can get the exact same sounds as anyone I want to with this baby, anyone from B. B. King to Faith No More to Zakk Wylde. My only gripe is that the knobs are a bit stiff. But that's it.

I play Therion and Lacuna Coil style metal mostly, but I also do your typical classic-rock party songs, and this baby works wonderfully with all of it.

Another great thing about this pedal is that it is very durable. You could probably run the goddamn thing over with a car and then bring it to your next gig. The paint is a bit thin and chips eventually, but only with some pretty serious abuse. I would and do use it for gigs without backup.

The tone on this little orange monster is killer. The gain boost feature lets you thrash at low levels, and still retain your tone, which is great. The manual is very good and well-written, and it also gives some suggestions for setting it up, which is always helpful.