MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

I'm using this with a Washburn X30 and a Roland Microcube/random tube amps. Generally this thing sounds a lot better on the tube amps and sounds terrible on solid state. So always use it on tubes! If you want a metal sound out of the MD-2, it does get quite noisy especially at loud volumes. A noisegate usually solves the problem though. The Overdrive is quiet as a lamb though. The sound that you get from the MD-2 is also very satisfactory and you can get a thick low-end boost from it. However, if you do do that, then you lose just a bit of treble but it's not really a big deal if your running an EQ as well. Anyway, the metal sound that you get from it is very thick and nice to my ears. The Overdrive sound isn't as good as maybe a BD-2 but this is a distortion pedal afterall. You can also get a very good rock distortion from this pedal too and IMO it trumps the DS-1. The gain-boost is very good for added sustain and response too and overall I just like the sound of it. It's a great stompbox to get your own unique distorted tone and I don't think it particularly emulates a certain artist. The only real problems are sometimes the treble loss and the fact that it gets a bit noisy when you push it to the extreme but your not going to that anyway.

I play metal/jazz/rock and this gets a very nice tone for metal and rock (more metally I guess). I've played for three years and I own a Washburn X30, a Roland Microcube and a Musiya Acoustic. I used to own an Ibanez Ergodyne but never got to play it with the MD-2. If it was stolen or lost, I think I would get it again or maybe buy a modded DS-1 or an EXH Big Muff Pi for a more metal tone. I really like the gain boost on this product since it adds a lot of sustain and gives your guitar a very thick layer of distortion. I compared this to a DS-1, DS-2, MT-2 and a Line 6 Uber Metal. I chose this over the Line 6 Uber-Metal because the Line 6 sounded very synthetic and didn't have enough bass-boost. The noisegate in it was slightly helpful though. I also chose this over the more popular MT-2 because the MT-2 sounded very digital and really just had a very crappy distorted tone. No wonder there are so many after market mods. I chose this over the DS-2 because the DS-2 was simply shit. And I chose this over the DS-1 because I thought it might be too bothersome to mod the DS-1 and more pricey. And I wanted a more metal tone which the DS-1 didn't have. It was close though.

It's a Boss. Sounds totally cliche, but it's true! "Built like a tank", I doubt it'd break very often. Afterall, it's not DigiTech. I could gig with it without a backup, but really, why would you buy two of the same pedal and keep one for backup anyway? It's very sturdy and should last, um, forever. The parts inside (which I did check out) looked very well organized too. The knobs are very hard to pull off (which is good thing) so yes, Boss wins here.

Easy to use. Simpler than an MT-2, a bit more complex than a DS-1 to add a bit more depth. The manual for it is very useful and contains some settings which can be used if you don't want to spend time customizing your own sound on it which is nice. Very easy to use.