MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

At first I liked it a lot because it really improved the sounds of my Fender Frontman 15 watt amp (I use a Cort K6 which I reviewed earlier), and I was able to get a pretty good metal tone out of it (compared to what the Frontman could do by itself). But after a few months, I realized that it was nothing compared to a quality amp. Even though the heavy metal/distortion sound can compare to cheaper solid state amps, you would be better off saving money to get a good midrange (if not high end) amp. As I said earlier, this pedal should be used strictly for Heavy Metal and Death Metal (maybe hard rock if you spend time to mess with the settings). The Overdrive sounds muddy and digital at the same time, and anything with less than metal gain has pretty much the same sound quality of the Overdrive. Even though the high gain sounds are ok (though nothing compared to a good midrange amp), you might have to tweak the settings a bit, because it is VERY easy to get feedback with this pedal. Unless you absolutely can't save up to get a good amp, then this is the best you can get for 60 dollars (at least that's how much I paid).

I play mostly Heavy Metal like Metallica and Lamb Of God, and sometimes a little bit of Death Metal. I've been playing for guitar for 3 years and I have a Cort K6 guitar and a Frontman 15 amp. My favorite features are the gain boost and the tone knob, which gives you a lot of tone options (half of which are crap, though). It was a good solution for me because I won't have enough money for a decent amp until a year (2 years from the time I bought it). I just wish it was able to do hard rock and Overdrive better. If it were stolen, I would track down the guy and make him pay me and then I'd let him have it because I'm gonna get a new amp soon anyway. Again, it's a solid pedal and the best you can get for under 100 dollars (unless you look at the metal muff, which is supposed to be good too but I haven't played it yet), unless you're willing to save up more and get a good amp.

YES. Boss has 5 year warranties on (at least some that I'm absolutely sure of) products, including this one. It is very dependable (as long as you use an adapter and not the battery, which runs out pretty quickly), and if I used this at a gig, I would definitely not need a back up. It's built like a tank and probably even stronger, because I've dropped it about a hundred times (ok fine maybe less) but it's still ok.

I got this pedal last year while it was on discount. It is ok but no more than a heavy metal/death metal pedal. It has a Level (volume, tone, bottom, distortion, and gain boost knobs. The Level and Distortion knobs are pretty self explanatory-more distortion=higher gain. The gain boost adds more gain to the distortion, which now gets you a high gain metal sound. The gain boost can also turned full with no distortion to get a "blues" Overdrive which sounds like pure crap though. Lastly, there is a tone knob, which gives you more treble, and a Bottom knob which gives you more bass. Turn the Tone up to about 1 o'clock and the Bass to about 12 o'clock with the distortion and gain boost on full and you will get the best tone for heavy metal out of this pedal. (for Death Metal possibly turn the tone to 2 o'clock and the Bottom to 11. It is extremely easy to use, there are even 4 pretty good presets in the manual. There is a huge problem, though, because with the Death Metal setting that I described, you're sure to get unwanted feedback(unless you have a noise gate or something), so you'll have to tweak the settings a bit. The only reason I give this an 8 instead of a 9 is because of the feedback.

adslam3
    i have had this pedal for about 4 years now. after screwing around with it, i can find basically anything i want. i can get a blues-ish kinda of distortion (like the black keys and such) and i can get classic rock, punk, whatever. if you figure out how to use it then you'll love it. i've only had to replace the black part that connects to the battery three weeks ago...but you can get a new piece from any electronics store for cheap as free. get this pedal!
    andy_h04
    gettin this baby in a month! sounds sweet.. getting it along with my first tube amp im excited.