MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Purchased from: GAK

I'm using it with, a PRS, orginal Fender Strat but primarily a pacifica 012. All going through a Marshall MG series amp. Makes the amp sound a lot better than it is! The distortion is strong and very full, and the level control more than enough if you are using it for solos like myself (although it does give a brilliant rhythm sound, but the "Gain Boost" isn't needed if you use it for that).

I play Hard Rock, with very fast and expressive solos. I love using my Cry Baby during solos and it sounds brilliant through the MD2. If I lost this pedal I'd be buying another one straight away, it's become a very important part of my sound along with my Cry Baby and I couldn't Live without it. As I said I did compare it with every other Boss OD/Distortion pedal. Two parts of this pedal, the "Bottom" and the "Gain Boost" really set the pedal apart from the rest. This pedal gave me exactly what I needed: a ridiculous amount of gain with lots of middle for my solos!

Durable without a doubt. I did try a Big Muff Pi, and it's thin casing was what let it down. It's tone range was too much aswell I think, allowing you get sounds you would surely never use. No backup required, it's never let me down. You'd have to slam it with a chunk of granite to brake it.

A good sound comes out of this as soon as it's on. Depending on what sound you want you may have to a while getting it, but only because it's so versitile. I was after a pedal for solos, highest gain, with lots of middle. I tried every Boss overdrive/distortion pedal (DS1 and 2, overdrive, super overdrive metal zone etc) the metal zone came close, but the MD2 was just perfect.

Mr.LeadGuitar
    Lainey wrote: Got some recommendations for solo pedals like the metal zone and the turbo distortion and blah blah blah but this just kicks all of them into hyper space. If you want a solo pedal, you will NOT be disappointed. And it might even make you a little horny.
    Wow...it's great, but that's pretty...um...ehehehehe... Still, it's a KICK ASS PEDAL!!!!! I'm getting one in like 3 days, and have tried it at guitar center, as well as borrowing my friend's for a few gigs. it's durable and EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A PEDAL!