MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

I am using a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt, a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Studio guitar, and a DigiTech RP250 for boosting, amp models, and other effects. The distortion settings on the RP sound like it's from a tin can, but with the MD-2 it's like pure bliss. The heaviest of distortion sounds somewhat unclear when using like powerchords, and open chords are sometimes impossible to distinguish, but that is easily softened by turning down the level or using a NS-2 Noise Supressor, which I also use in my rig. I can get the sounds of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and The Offspring easily, as well as Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Van Halen, without too much hassle. It sounds awful with some modulation effects, like phaser and chorus, but besides that works like a charm with tremolo, wah, and delay. Do not use a compression sustainer without a noise supressor while using this pedal! The feedback is horrible. Still, overall great sound.

This is the god of distortion pedals. Whatever you are looking for, you can get on this pedal. Metal, Punk, Alternative, even some classic rock (I use this on my cover of China Grove by the Doobie Brothers), you can find without too much of a hassle. The presets are great, the versatility is amazing, and it blows all other distortion pedals out of the water. I own a DS-1, and you know, it's donkey fodder compared to this (no wonder the DS-1 is so cheap). Honestly, I wish someone had told me it was this good, cause I was planning to buy like 3 other distortion pedals to fit my needs. If it were stolen, I'd make sure the person Who did would never be able to again, cause it's that good of a pedal! If I couldnt, I would get another one the same day! it's compatability to basses and Death Metal tunings really help (I play a lot of music). It's perfect the way it is. I just wish certain effects worked better with it, but I have yet to find a distortion pedal that does work with them well.

We could win the war in Iraq if we dropped a thousand of these on the mountains. Seriously, these things are inhumanly prone to abuse, yet they are even more inhumanly immune to damage. These things are the hulks of pedals. I mean, I dropped mine down a flight of stairs, and it still works fine. nothing knocked loose or anything.

Sound... hmmm. It sounds amazing! Granted, it's a pedal, and when used with a shitty amp, it's, well, shitty. But it's really easy to get the tone you want. It even comes with like 20 preset settings in the manual. You can find most types of distortion on with without much fiddling about, and it even works great with deep metal tunings, 7 string guitars, and basses.

A Poe
    I have played the metal zone, metal core, ds-1, turbo distortion, os-2, the uber metal pedal that line 6 makes and a few other overdrive and tube distortions that are all good pedals. I always wanted this pedal but never seem to bring myself to buy it, cause i ended up buying the mt-2. Everytime i play this thing i love the tone so much better than the mt-2 because its got that beefy sound without that nasaly feeling the mt-2 gives u. Belive me ive spent 5 years playing with the mt-2 and i always find i like the md-2 better tone wise. The sound i would describe it as having would be a smashing pumpkins type distortion so it can evan give u that muff fuzz sound if u get it right. Anyways try this out at guitarcenter or something and i bet u will want one.