MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Price paid: C$ 103

Purchased from: Steve's Music

I using an American Fender Telecaster Deluxe Edition through a Traynor Reverb Mate 30. The effects in my opninion sound great pretty much all the time, just don't put the distortion up too much or it will get noisy. I can get a good Bullet for My valentine sound, a Disturbed tone, Breaking Benjamin, pretty much any kind of hard rock/ metal artist. This is suited for metal and rock definately and if you have EQ's on your amp, then this pedal should be all you need. When I put the treble and mid down on my amp, bass up with all the knobs on this pedal at 12 0'clock thing in the room start to shake from the heaviness, this pedal is a gain monster. With EQ on your amp you're not gonna need the Metal Core and Metal Zone. I play Heavy rock and some Metal and this pedal is 100% suited for me. I'm happy with it, I'm just a beginner/intermediate, played for about 5 months but this pedal is really great for the professionals or beginners. I'd probably use some kind of noise gate or something. You can hear your hand over the strings clearly at high gain.

I play heavier stuff and this is great for it, absolute match. This was my second pedal, exchanged the Boss Od-2 for this because the od-2 lacked heaviness. I wish I would have tried the Metal Zone, the metal zone has more knobs and more tones, but from what people say it's too hard to get good tones out of it. If this would lost or stolen I wouldn't buy it again because, I'm running short on cash, yeah it's worth the money but really... 100 bucks for this thing is pushing it. I probably would buy a Danelectro Fab Metal, just because of the price. If you have extra money and are willing to pay more for better pedals get this for any kind of metal or rock.

This is a Boss, it's dependable, I would use it with no back up, the battery last pretty long haven't worn it out yet, should last 4 hours of playing. I'd go buy the adapter if your satisfied with this pedal. The actual pedal seems light but sturdy, if you're not gonna go throw it against a wall this pedal will break, but it should stand up to some abuse.

This pedal is very simple to use, a few tweaks of the knobs will change the tone. Five knobs, Level (volume pretty much, the higher the level the louder and heavier), Bottom (bass), Tone (treble) Distortion and Gain Boost. Comes with a manual but you don't need it.

J.J.G.
    uniknow
    Because the tones on most of those modelling amps sound very digital, the MD-2 actually sounds smooth but crunchy, it could pass as tube distortion as far as i'm concerned.
    pete_190290
    J.J.G. : Elohel wrote: Why do people bother with buying pedals if they have digital modelling amps? beacause digital is cold sound. it is trash pre-set sounds. Nothing compares to a true analogic effect and a true analogic valve amplifier, digital is for those people that just dont know what "tone" is and end up buying those easy,cold and digital junk that crate and line6 do. But you know how it is, a complete ***** isnt an ***** with out his spider III
    For starters I use a Line6 spider II with this pedal and it sounds pretty cool, i also use a turbo distortion with the gain down low to give me a nice crunch with a dunlop cry baby and a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty. Tube amps are unreliable, drive over a pot hole on the way to a gig with one in the back and you lose to bloody valve and your buggered for the gig. You crank one up to loud and you blow a value then every 18months or so you gotta replace all the valves anyway. All well and good having a nice tube amp if your keeping it in one place.