MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Purchased from: used from friend

When I had this, I was using this with my electric guitar, a Johnson Catalyst, and a 5 watt Fender solid state. I can't even remember what it was called. It was a piece of junk amplifier. I sold the pedal once I got my Line 6 Spider III a few months later (don't have that amp anymore either). I have come to prefer in amp dirt over dirt pedals, so I am biased against these things. As far as sound, it was nice for a beginner like I was at the time, but it really did sound like just a bunch of high-gain mess. You don't need both a distortion knob and a gain boost knob on one pedal. That's just unnecessary. The settings I kept it at were low and high around the middle, distortion at 40% and gain at 0-10% because you just don't need a lot until it starts to sound like a beehive. it got very noisy very easily. It's definitely a tone-sucker, as you should expect with any high-gain distortion pedal. It was good for a beginner.

When I had this, I liked to use it for playing the music of my two favorite bands at the time: System of a Down and Tool. I don't really play that sort of music anymore. For a beginner, this pedal did a good job of making me happy in that regard for a while until I got sick of changing the batteries all the time and of the noisy buzz. I've been playing for 3 years now. I got this after a few months of playing. What do I like about it? Well, it was alright for a beginner at the time. Now I can't say much else about it. It sounds like cheap crap. I just don't care for these "uber metal distortion" pedals. They annoy me. They are noisy and suck tone. I much prefer amp dirt. Don't buy this. Save your money and get a nice amp instead.

I did play in front of people with it twice (not sure if you want to call that gigging or not). One of the knobs was bent when I got it from my friend, but it still worked fine. It never really broke or anything, so I can't complain about its reliability. I didn't have it for very long so I didn't really give it a chance to break. I didn't have a power supply at the time, so I used batteries and I must say that the batteries in this thing died very quickly. They didn't hold up very good, which was annoying to change constantly.

This was my first guitar effect pedal. I got it back when I was a little guitar noob, playing on a 5 watt Fender solid state practice amp. At the time, I did have some trouble making it sound like how I wanted it to. And, at that time, I really didn't know anything about tone or sounding good. I found it difficult at the time to figure out tone and dialing in settings on the pedal, but that was because I was so new to it all. Since I bought it used, I went into it blind without a manual. My friend helped me a bit with figuring it out and I did eventually find settings that I was satisfied with for a few months until I sold it. So, it was kind of confusing for me at first, but I eventually figured it out. It wasn't too complicated.

beno21
    ewww i just plugged mine in after a year of it laying dormant. What a piece of shit. These pedals are horrible.
    beno21
    I bought one of these just for the sake of having an extra distortion pedal laying around. What a waste of money. All you kids out there saying "its so awesome yadayada i use Line 6 Spider 3 and my $400 Epiphone..." This pedal is ratshit. I have the MXR Doubleshot Distortion aswell, now that is a good distortion pedal. If you want to know what sounds good, play a Marshall or Mesa or whatever decent tube amp using amp distortion. Then play the same amp on the clean channel using your famed distortion pedal. Then tell me what sounds good. Distortion pedals sound so thin and fake, get the real thing.