MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Purchased from: Local music shop

I'm using this with my Ibanez something-or-other into a Roland Microcube. It's a good tone, depending on what you consider to be a good tone. When I got it I was amazed at how good it sounded, but now, with more of an ear, I recognise that in fact it's not amazing for metal. It can deal with some more recent Metallica, Dream Theatre ("Constant Motion" sounds amazing with it) and some other bands, but it's not great for heavier bands such as Heaven Shall Burn, Arch Enemy or DevilDriver. Not to say that's a fault of this pedal, if you want that, look elsewhere. At times with the gain boost even a little on, with high distortion and half gain on the amp, there's a lot of hum, even with 'buckers. At higher volumes the sound can also be a little watery. Not bad, but not amazing either.

I play lots of metal, and it's a good pedal for certain things. I've been playing for about a year, and this is my only pedal so far. I wish I had got the metal zone one for 10 more in the same shop, but can't be helped. If it were stolen, I would probably claim on home and possession insurance then buy a Metal Zone one, which would be more appropriate for me. So, a good pedal, but not amazing.

It's built like an absolute monster. I dropped it down two flights of concrete stairs (long story) and after running down, terrified it would break, it was utterly fine. I would use this at a gig with no backup, no problem.

This pedal was my first pedal, and straight out of the box I plugged it in, and it was ready to go. It's really easy to get a good tone, you just need a small amount of patience. The manual came with four presets, but I haven't got any need as this is so easy to use.