MD-2 Mega Distortion review by Boss

Boss: MD-2 Mega Distortion

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

My guitar is obviously a Fender Jaguar HH, and I use the guitar on my Line 6 Spider IV 30 amp, which already has an on-board distortion model. Why buy myself another pedal? It's because whenever I have to go to gigs and practice sessions where I can't bring in my amp, I have to use my distortion pedal as my alternate to using an amp with in-built distortion module. The distortion is crunchy, and it can produce a noisy distortion when you have the Gain Boost knob, the Level knob, or the Distortion knob way up. The effects sound very great; it's just that the excessive feedback sound I get is not that great. I think that it's because I don't use an adapter for the pedal. Of course, I can get the favorite artist presets; Steve Vai, Joe Satrani, Linkin Park, Synyster Gates preset, and many other presets can be used! Although it's a distortion pedal, it's still very good for practice sessions, or when I need to use a pedal for extending my guitar cords so I can lead my band on the stage.

I mostly play a variety of rock music, from soft jazz to heavy metal, and although it's only a compact pedal, you can still use it for soft, but crunchy, overdriven sound. I have played guitar for 3-4 years now, and this is my first time I've been playing with a guitar effect pedal. Literally. Before this, I've been asking for a multi-effect processor, like a Boss ME-70 or Zoom G2 processor, but my budget was ultimately limited to 80 bucks at maximum, so I had to choose this pedal. But it still works for me. I learned to get used to playing with only one single pedal in my experience as a guitarist. If I got this pedal lost or stolen, I'd initially try to get it back, and if I fail, good for me, as I'd be able to finally get a multi-effects processor that I wanted in my entire life! I love this pedal's compact, and versatile, distortion effects, but these Compact pedals should come with an AC adapter (or a Noise Gate) as a necessity. The pedals need a proper ground source, or a Noise Suppressor, to have its excessive feedback reduced to a minimum. I did compare this pedal with other distortion pedals, such as a Boss OS-2 combination pedal, and by far, this pedal was the cheapest, and at the same time, most affordable pedal. I only wish that this pedal also had some light Overdrive controls so that I can saturate the overdriven sound to make it useful for jazz, blues or funk music.

I'd really depend on this pedal, especially when I need to use an amp that doesn't have its own distortion model. Of course, if I run out of battery power, I'd need a contingency plan, such as a spare battery or another distortion pedal. This MD-2 Distortion pedal produces at least a minimum of about, let's say, 60% of Gain Boost?

This Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, a compact but useful distortion pedal, is one of the best pedals to get a distortion sound from. Using the usual Level, Tone, and Distortion knobs combined with Gain Boost and Bass-range Tone control, you will be sure that this guitar effect pedal will be useful for any kind of heavy rock songs. However, since this pedal is one of the Compact Series of the Boss pedals, you are only limited to using a distortion effect. The manual for this pedal is very great; it shows you a step-by-step instruction as to setting up the pedal, replacing the battery, and also, some of the presets you can use with the pedal, including an Overdrive effect.

parhelia_0000
    highway61 wrote: i'm not a fan of this pedal. i tried it out and while i think its perfect for heavy rythms and such, when it comes to lead it is really lacking. the tone is usually buried behind the distortion, and this pedal knows not the meaning of subtle. its a great pedal for a certain styles, but i don't think its universal at all.
    There is a way to set it up as close to lead. Pull the Distortion and Level knob way up high, and then turn the BOTTOM Tone knob way down. You might need to turn the Treble knob on your amplifier way up high as well. That's how I set my gear up.
    randomguy2000
    planning on buying this, i have a mustang 1 amp and a squier strat how is it for joe satriani,randy rhoads, metallica any suggestions