ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Amazon.com

When I first got this I was sceptical, I mean I wasn't exactly expecting to get amazing quality effects just some decent ones, that I could make do with until I could afford enough single pedals, but I've got to admit this pedal sounds fantastic, the Overdrive and distortion channels sound amazing, the wahwah is extremely effective and the chorus is great sounding as well, it is just fantastic, simple and sweet. Overall the effects are very very full sounding and don't sound too digital by any means. The superstack feature is especially great. I tend to use the compression alot as well, weith it I can easily nail the under the bridge tone that I was looking for! Overall all the effects are extremely versatile and easily good sounding. the distortions and overdrives are a little harder to get good, but if use the superstack button and equalize through the preamp you can get unbelievable sound!

I like to play a lot of different songsa by artists but my favorit band of all time is RHCP, and they use ALOT of effects, this pedal is great for nailing their sound both tonewise and effectwise. If this pedal was stolen I would buy it again, overall this pedal is amazing!

This thing is a tank, its not cheap plastic its metal and it will last! If I were to start gigging I would use this since it sounds like its older brother (the me-70) and even better sometimes, also I can plug this thing directly into a pa and also record with a usb cable, so I wouldn't even really need my amp either!

The way they have setup the interface on this one is very well done and simple, it took me about 20 minutes to figure it out, if ur really stuck just look at the manual trust me, the people who designed this knew what they were doing, but I do wish that they had made three seperate knobs to control the AMP MODELS instead (HI, MID, LO). But overall this thing is efficient and extremely easy to use, especially since you can organize all of ur sound library on the computer as well. You can even save patches oon the computewr, and btw you can hav a total of 120 patches sinces you hav 60 normal patches and 60 in ur sound library as well!

khanomar3
    JayLacelle wrote: I like to play a lot of different songsa by artists but my favorit band of all time is RHCP, and they use ALOT of effects LOL. Froosh plays clean about 99% of the time. The only effect he uses often is a compressor.
    Not really, most of his NEWER songs consist of more than one effect like in dani california, there's distortion, wah, very minimal compression, and a bunch of modular effects for the fill ins! However older RHCP stuff basically consists of compression and distortion
    khanomar3
    The ME-70 is just a bigger version (same quality sound) of the ME 25 but it doesnt hav a USB Out, Freeze or an Acoustic Simulator, but the ME 25 doesn't hav a stompbox mode, or SLOW GEAR, DEFRETTER, Single>Hum, Hum>Single, or Reverse
    XtremesWolf
    sugato wrote: Rp-355 or Rp-500 better then this ME-25 and also lots easier to modify so whats my best bet for an effects unit, for around 300 bucks? whatever i play seems okay to me since im not experienced with processors, and they are all miles ahead of my amps distortion
    7guitarist7
    can you get a crazy train sound or just some thick distortion with a heavy low end
    sugato
    mmdude22
    if you waited and saved of course you could come up with enough cash for the upgraded version. Just know nothing will ever beat the real deal. Get a good clean amp, chorus, phaser, comp pedal, od pedal and your well on your way to a rhcp tone
    koalabacon
    Fraydawg wrote: koalabacon wrote: KindredPOKER wrote: From past experience I strongly advise everyone to not buy multi-effects and get a good amp instead, rather than running a bad effects pedal through a bad amp. agreed. i own an Me-50 pedal and it blows. Hey they arent that bad, I run an ME-50 through a Vox and the combination works quite well, you just have to tweak alot to your liking
    i play it through a peavey valveking. it still blows.
    Prefab Funk
    Just plug in to a processor + amp,listen to what tones you like.I've heard guys/pro(bands) playing the Boss GT8,GT6,Zoom G7,G9,& sounding pretty good! i got good sounds from a cheap Zoom G2{$100) by altering the factory patches & tweaking them! The amp tones (no effects) on a Peavey Vyper & a Orange Crush are the best I've heard,maybe because Peavey & Orange use analog processing for the amp stage. Whereas Roland Cube,Line6 Spider,Vox Valvetronix use digital amp modeling and sound very digital & processed.Take as much time a you like & Listen to as many amps/efx,as possible & then decide WHAT YOU LIKE!
    PlayFreebirdNow
    sugato wrote: I currently have a Schecter Omen 6 and a Roland Cube 15x, and i was planning on buying a multi-effects pedal, specifically this one. I would probably be using mainly distortion, reverb and delay. Having a multi-fx would allow me to easily take my guitar and processor over to friend's places when we jam there. What do you guys think, am i better of buying single pedals? My budget is quite limited(bout $300). I like my current amp and i don't think there is much use in a new one at the moment.
    Just don't get the Digitech RP350, whatever you do. I have it and I hate it. The only good thing on it is the tuner.
    sugato
    zakarai
    Hmm interesting. BOSS are pretty good at making effects pedals. You have to be careful when buying multi effects though. Sometimes you don't always get what you were expecting. If you are looking for certain effects, try testing some out at guitar shops, look at reviews on UG or check out youtube. You always have to watch out on videos though because you get different sounds with the EQ, amp, pickup's e.t.c
    mmdude22
    i also agree with a good percentage of the people out there who agree multi effects are cheap, digital sounding pos in most if not all cases and those companies design those to be bought by younger inexperienced musicians, and bedroom rockers. Please dont carry on the growing trend of shitty guitars, into shitty multi fx into shitty amps. If you have the some odd hundred bucks to get this you can continue to save and get the real deal. patience people, its takes practice. You just dont become EVH cause you took lessons and can play eruption
    benx3000
    Yeah, like a Spider III! .>
    Fraydawg
    khanomar3
    the problem with multieffect pedals is that their sound depends on your equipment as well, if you play one through a small crappy solid state amp, the pedal will sound like a toy, but when u play it through a decent amp (it doesn't even need to be a tube amp) like a nice roland cube or even a cheap vox the pedal sounds great and not by any means digital
    Moonspine
    Quoted for truth. Buy nice or buy twice. I've learned that the hard way on so many different fronts.
    koalabacon
    agreed. i own an Me-50 pedal and it blows.
    KindredPOKER
    Zeraninator
    Holy shit, before submitting something that can potentially be viewed by thousands of people, please proof-read your damn review.
    M3AK
    I'd love to get me an ME-70 but unfortunately can't afford one so it looks like it's gunna be this for me unless i can find a second hand ME-70 or ME-50.
    NHECOS
    It's cool because of the USB connection. But the ME-70 is better dude.
    JayLacelle