ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Professional Music Technologies

The first time I used this was through a Fender Frontman 100Watt amp with double 12inch speakers and playing a cheap Eastcoast Les Paul copy. The guitar wasn't exactly great as it was only intended to teach with, but the pedal did it's magic and made it sounds pretty good. It was quite noisy at first when I turned the distortion on but I think that was partly due to the guitar. All it took was the Noise Supression to be adjusted and it was fine, although that was quite confusing to adjust.... The effects are all pretty good, there's a massive range of distortions and combined with all the different preamp settings you can get literally every different sound you could ever want. The delays and reverbs are quite impressive too, plenty of range and lots of potential :) One of the little perks of this model has to be the phrase loop function. It's a weird feeling to play a riff once and then be able to listen back to it and play over the top for as long as you like, until you get bored. Then you can do it again with a different loop! Then there's the expression pedal, I still can't make the freeze setting work but the octave shifts are fantastic.

Playing modern rock stuff with this pedal seems a pretty good choice, the distortion range and clean sounds are all great, and can even be changed from my style to metal or classic, anything really. Honestly, it's a good little gadget but I wouldn't bother replacing it other than for the octave shift. I'd stick with my ME-20, but an octave pedal and possibly a loop if I really wanted one. It's not that there's anything wrong with the ME-25, just that some of the functions are a bit wasted on it, I'd say they're better suited to other pedals. The fact that you can only change effects by browsing through memory banks is a little bit awkward, if you want to go from effect number 1 to effect number 6 very quickly. That's one of the reasons I prefer something like the ME-20, you can group effects together very conveniently as you want to, the ME-25 isn't able to do that. Overall, it's not a bad product, I just don't think they should have replaced the ME-20 with it, maybe just add it to the product line as a downgrade.

This pedal seems pretty sturdy to me, although its lightweight it feels pretty tough and looks like it'll last a long time. For piece of mind I would consider a back up, but only an ME-20 as that's my all time favourite pedal of its kind. The expression pedal seems quite sound and feels strong enough to last a while, and the memory/solo pedals also feel pretty tough.

After having a Boss ME-20 for 2 years, I had very high hopes for this one when I finally got to play around with it for a while. Upon looking at the thing I got pretty confused, and the instruction manual wasn't the most help either so I went with what I know best and just tried to use it. Surprisingly, once you work out what bit does what function, its incredibly easy to use. Editing the different sounds is pretty simple if you've got a good ear and can tell whether you need more or less tone etc. There's so much variety in the different sounds you can get, and somehow it doesn't get confusing!

lolometer1
    27926 wrote: digitech rp355/boss me-25/zoom g2.1nu all of them is $199.. and all of them has the usb interface.. which of this is better?? could anyone please help me.. im going to buy one of these..
    i'd go for the boss me-25, my friends have each of these and i find that the me-25 has the nicest sound to it. It might just be that my other friends are crap at setting up effects but i'd still go for the me-25
    ferns.sheldon
    Hey i need help.. can anyone tell me whether boss me 25 has an EQ??? and if not then how should i handle this problem??
    ferns.sheldon
    @ sugato - thanks.. i found out that it has an EQ only for the Drive. not for the clean,crunch,heavy,extreme and lead. And would i get any other better pedal within this price range? thanks.