ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Steve's Music Mtl

This pedal has some great features, like the 38 second looper, and the 'freeze' function, as well as the dotted eighth tap delay to get that U2 sound. Pitch bender (think U2- "Even better than real thing" intro) is fun, but not necessary. The chorus on this unit destroys the chorus on my POD XT. The noise limiter is somewhat weak. The Wah is a plastic toy, mostly useless. The biggest weakness in my opinion is the distortions. My Pod XT makes way better distortions. I can't get a good crunch sound, and I've tried for hours. So I put it in front of my Crate tube amp and it works great. It really fills out the sound of my amp, but I gotta get the crunch from the amp. Overall, I like the base clean sound a lot, and I use the bundled 'Cakewalk' program with it. It doesn't do everything well, but I gotta keep it.

If I lost it I would probably Switch to a pod unit, but then I would really miss the chorus and the looper. Don't forget that you get a pretty decent software with this think. And for $10 I downloaded 'session drummer 2' to use with it. Great little home studio. I wish I had known that the distortions were so, um, well, digital.

This pedal replaces my Roland GP-8 (same company) that I bought used 20 years ago. It's still running fine. And I wasn't nice to it. This one is a Solid Metal casing, everything seems ready to take a beating.

Can't get a multi-effect that's easier to use. I thought I would need to use the open source software "ME edit" to do everything, but it's really no brainer once you know where to go. It's really not a complicated machine.