ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: PMT

Admittedly there are some good effects on this one. Once you take the time to find a good EQ and Drive mix on distortion channels you can get one hell of a punch out of it. Same with clean channels, once you get the EQ then you're pretty much set to go. The problem is, it's just not that special. It's not bad, but you don't plug it in and think "wow this thing's incredible!", you just sort of get on with it.

Sorry to slate the good reviews, but I really wasn't impressed. At all. After using the ME-20 for 2 years (playing live) and loving it, I was quite excited when we bought the 25. I'd heard there were more features so I was looking forward to trying them out. Man I was disappointed. It just doesn't do it for me. If you're looking to have an effects unit in a studio for recording where you're only doing a channel with one effect at a time, it's damn near perfect for that. Just don't expect it to be that good live. I know I keep comparing it to the ME-20, but that thing was so much better than this. Boss should definitely NOT have took that off the market and replaced it with this disappointment. Market it alongside, sure, but don't try to pretend it's better. BOSS = You're not fooling anyone.

If I'm completely honest, I have used this live a number of times, but only with my Acoustic as an EQ pedal. That way I knew I didn't have to change effects and knew I could just leave it alone and trust it to do one thing properly. But hey, that's what analog pedals are for.. ;) It is reliable and isn't going to break for a long time, but that's safe to say with any Boss pedals really. I'm not going to lie about this, if my ME-20 wasn't already plugged in with it, I'd have it within an arms reach to use as a back up and just hope that the 25 broke. I'm not against it as such, I'm just disappointed that it was marketted and labelled as if it was an upgrade when in reality, it serves no live purpose whatsoever.

It's easy to use, don't get me wrong. It's just horribly impractical for playing live. With 2 selector pedals, up and down, its a pain in the ?#@ to jump between effects. At least with the ME-20 (it's predecesor) you could be confident that 3 effects patches were right in front of you at any one time. This is just a pain, as you can't jump from patch 1 to patch 3, without going through patch 2. Even worse when I wanted to go from 3 to 7, but let's not go there. Editing the patches themselves is pretty easy, but still not as practical as the ME-20. With only 1 control knob dedicated to tone, it's much more difficult than it should be to find a good EQ for distortion - or anything for that matter. Plugging it into the computer has to be a good thing, but again, does NOTHING if you're using it live. In reality, it's a studio toy, definitely NOT something to use live.