ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Ebay

I use this with 2 Ibanez RGs and a modified Fender strat into a home made noise gate then into a White Horse 60W tube with a 4X8 cab and overall it sounds pretty damn good. Some of the distortions can sound a little too similar but that's not essentially a bad thing. The Wah function is excellent, gives a very nice sweep as do the octave up/down funtions. My only real qualm is with the Super Stack function, when you have your amp up at gigging volume it sounds great, very thick and chunky. When your amp is ata quieter volume, for home use say, it has a tendency to kind of muddy things slightly, again that could be to your advantage if you want that sort of sound. All of the various modulation effects (tremolo, phaser, delay etc) all sound as good as their various stompbox counterparts, the only real difference is you don't get as much fine control over each effect as you would with an individual stompbox. The loop function is also excellent, as far as I know there is no limit to the number of recordings you can layer over one another so it is very useful for soling over chord progressions or trying parts with different effects.

I try and dabble in a little of everything but I'm mostly a metal/rock guy and I honestly have yet to find a style that this thing can't do. While it could do some sounds slightly better (acoustic sounds have a slightly processed soound on occasion) it isn't inherently bad at anything. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably get one of the higher models (ME-50/ME-70) as I imagine they would just be an upgrade of what is already a high quality piece of gear. If for one reason or another I couldn't get a higher model I'd definately get this again. The sonar software that it comes bundled with is also an excellent bonus, very high quality software. Overall an excellent multi effects unit for any guitarist really, though it may not quite be up to standard for studio recordings. There is of course the limitations of a multi effects unit (difficult to jump several patches in one go, some effects would benefit from a greater range of modification) but I'd wager most people know if they prefer a multi effect or a series of stompboxes.

I have a tendency to stamp a little too hard on pedals and stompboxes, thankfully it seems to take quite a beating and still no problems. I wouldn't gig without a backup because I'm paranoid about things breaking but not because it has a tendency to break, you could probably gig for years without it failing on you.

It sounds good right out of the box, almost all of the preloaded effects sound good without any editing and I've found most of them to be useful in one way or another. Editing patches is fairly simple, there is a section within each effect for modulation, delay, reverb etc with each effect having 3 parameters that can be modified. The manual is very clear, it also comes with a list of the preloaded patches and a single sheet quickstart guide but in all honesty if you've used multi effects units before this thing is a doddle to work with. I did have a little trouble getting it to work with my PC in order to record with it but that is likely due to my lack of skill with a computer and not a fault by BOSS.

Samp Owl
    I'm considering buying a vox ac15, would it sound alright with my me25?
    LivinJoke84
    Can you have more than one modulation on, say have distortion and flange, switch to just distortion then switch back to distorion and flange at the press of a pedal i.e mid song? Im thinking for stuff like The Killers