ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Tom's Music

I am using a standard S101 guitar and a Peavey Rage 158 amp. The turbo setting on the distortion/od effects just seems to kill the whole sound, but with lower settings, the ds/od effects are very good. The modulation effects are great. Even my cheap guitar sounds very good with a light modulation effect. Again, too high on the effect and the unit kills the individual notes and has some feedback. That could just be the way effect pedals work, I'm not too familiar with them. The wah pedal is sensitive and sounds smooth when you push it, making good transistions.

I compared this to the new Fender amp with digital effects and backup built in (I forget the model number), and the sound quality was much better with this unit. You can get a little more customization of the effects on seperate pedals, but the cost of all the included effects on this unit being bought seperatly is sky-high. If this one ever went out or got lost, I would definitely buy a new one, or the next model up (again, forgot the model number). I am very satisfied with this unit and have gotten everything I've expected out of it. Bar none, this is an excellent Machine for those who don't need the control of seperate effects, or can't afford many seperate effects.

I play fairly to very heavy music, and as a result tend to stomp the poor thing a lot. It has stood up to the abuse, the switches still work properly, and I have never had a problem with reliability factors.

This unit is usable right out of the box with no experience. Getting awesome sounds takes some adjusting, but you can get a feel for the effects without ever looking at the instructions. Everything is arranged well and easy to understand.