ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: eBay

I run the ME-50 using a pair of Ibanez guitars (GSA60 and GRX20) and a custom-built guitar. My amp is a Behringer GX110, which has a horrible Overdrive channel. This forces me to rely on the ME-50s overdrives/distortions. Some of them are pretty good, like the Boss models (they better be), but the models of some others aren't great. The mod effects are ok, but again not of highest quality. The delays are great, which include a tap tempo feature. Expression effects are so-so. I don't feel there is enough sweep in the pedal. Other options include tone modification, compressor/sustain, noise suppression, and reverb. The noise suppressor and compression features are swtichable with external Boss FS-5U footswitches.

I play mostly rock and some blues. The ME-50 allows me to use some pretty decent effects. I've played for about four years and its served me well. If it was lost/stolen I would probably go out and get individual boxes for what I use most. The ME-50 allows someone to have a wide variety of effects on hand. The knob interface is definitly a plus over others such as the DigiTechs. Overall, it's a dependable pedal to fiddle around with.

The ME-50 is encased in a metal shell, and it seems pretty rugged. The expression pedal is plastic, but if you're serious about gigging I would get a better wah pedal anyway.

The main reason I chose to purchase the ME-50 was its ease of use. It's interface is all based on knobs to control parameters. This allows using the effects manually instead of through patches if desired, but you're limited to one distortion/overdrive, one mod, one delay, and one expression. The unit is able to hold 30 patches to store settings. Editing patches is fairly straight forward, but requires pushing a few buttons, so it isn't easily accessible on the fly. I did not get a manual, but have looked at the pdf file in Boss's website and it seems pretty thorough.