ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

I play an American Fender Stratocaster through the ME-50 into a Roland Cube 60 amp. The only time that the ME-50 makes any real noise is when you use either the DS-1 or MT-2 distortion setting, but this can easily be controlled with the built in noise surpressor. With eleven types of distortion/overdrive (5 original Boss and 6 Cosm models) which come with Drive, bottom end tone and level adjustment knobs and 10 types of tone modification you can get any of your favourite guitarists sounds. The modulation effects(3 types of chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Harmonist, Tremolo, Pan, Vibrato, Uni-Vibe and Rotary) sound great and are very easy to use, they feature a rate/key knob, a depth/harmony knob and an E.level/ Resonance knob. There are eleven types of delay (0-30ms, 25-125ms, 100-150ms, 400-2000ms, slow echo, pan, space pan, reverse, hold and tap) these are set by a time knob a feedback knob and an E. level knob. The expression pedal has just about everything you could hope for. It has Wah, Resonance, voice(supposed to make your guitar sound like a human voice) Ring Mod(I'm not sure what its for exactly but it makes your guitar sound insane) +1 octave and -1 octave. and of course it can also be used as a volume pedal. this is pretty good although I find that the wah pedal leaves a lot to be desired. There are also 4 different types of reverb: Room, Hall, Spring and Modern all of which sound absolutely great.

I play mainly punk, rock and classic rock. But it doesn't matter what style of music you're into, the ME-50 is suitable for anything! Unfortunately as with all Boss products no power adaptor is supplied and the adaptor is quite expensive. If it was stolen I would definatly buy a new one. The only thing I dislike about this pedal is that you can only use one type of modulation effect at a time but this has yet to cause me any problems.

This is definatly a dependable unit, it can really withstand punishment and has even been known to support my full weight when I foolishly try to turn on two pedals at the same time! I would use it at a gig without any backup and I wouldnt be worried about it letting me down.

This is the follow on model from the ME-30 as far as I know. This is a very simple unit to use, although if you have not used any modulation or delay pedals before they can be a bit tricky to figure out. If this is the case however, the manual explains all of these effects and how to use them. It has 33 preset patches any of which can be deleted to allow you to store your own patches. If you follow the instructions in the manual you should have no problem creating your own patches. To use these patches, all you have to do is step on the Delay and Modulation pedals at the same time, you can then choose between 3 different patches although to properly switch between these patches without having to use your hands, you really need a footswitch. The tuner function is also operated by steping on both the Overdrive/Distortion and Modulation pedals at the same time. I find that this can sometimes cause problems when gigging, sometimes I go to turn ot the distortion but accidently depress both the modulation and distortion pedals causing it to go into tuner mode and my guitar to go silent.