ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Barossa Music

I'm using an Ibanez Iceman and a Randall RG200 with it. I prefer the amps distortion as it has alot more crunch to it and sounds less digital, in some respects - depending on genre eg metal distortion or light gain. The noise gate works well, but can kill a pit of the natural sustain of the guitar and limit the harmonics. I love the delay effects and the chorus effects on it, and I used to use a squire single coil through it and tweak the settings from Single to Humbucker and it made the crappy guitar sound much better (for what it was). The wah of this pedal seems somewhat crappier than what I expected it doesnt really compare to a wah you'd hear Kirk Hammett or Zakk wylde use. And as I said I prefer amp gain for songs that have more bite to them.

I bought this unit because I wanted a wah but I figured I may aswell get some effects built in seeing as I got it after playing for 8 months. I reckon its pretty good for home use, but anything after that I'd say seperate pedals for be easier and be developed for their own sound instead of one big thing thats been built in general and not specific. I love the colour of it and its ability to add more emphasis to solos (with the delay). At the time I bought this product I wasnt that sure on everything, but if it was stolen I'd probably just buy a wah pedal and a delay pedal and use the amps gain. If you bought this product for home use you'd probably be happy with it, its really good quality and a bang for your buck.

This things reliable and strong. I like the metal chassis on the Boss multi effects compared to some of the plastic housed DigiTech units. I wouldnt use it for a gig because at this stage in my life I'd just use the amp for a cover band situation. When I get more into using delay and wah I'll by separate pedals. But for the reliability this thing is solid as a rock.

It's pretty easy to get a good sound out of. everything is easy to activate and adjust and everything is labelled well and easy. The manual tells you everything you need to know to be comfortable with it, but I'm sure in an hour or 2 you could figure it all out without it. The patches are straight forward but I still havent perfected the volume leveling thing for each patch so when I change theres sometimes a big level difference. There is a bit of a delay switching stored patches. I've found theres sound quality variables depending on the inputs and outputs you use/mess around with.

DareBear02
    I have a Marshall AVT275, Fender strat USA series and use the Boss ME-50 fx processor. The other guitarist in our band has exactly the same equipment as me apart from the fx processor. He uses a Boss GT6 and goes through the fx loop whereas I go through the front of my amp. Never been a problem until this week when we needed to turn the volume up a notch to match our new drummer who is a lot louder than the previous one. When I turned my volume up to match the other guitarist I got awful feedback so I tried going through the fx loop. Seemed great until I introduced the tremelo which was so weak it wasn't noticeable and my programmed banks that had distortion/overdrive were all clean?? I have been to 3 music shops and each adviser has given me a different set up, including connecting the send from the rear of the amp to the input on the front of the amp with the fx loop returns connected to the ME-50 outputs. If I didn't have the sense to turn all volumes down beforehand the high pitched sound that came out as I went to turn up might well have deafened me so God knows what it would have done to the amp! Any suggestions? Please bear in mind the following: It is nothing to do with single coil pickups as the other guitarist has the same. I do not have the master volume on ME-50 too high. I have contacted Roland/Boss customer support and finally, I am not technically minded so an idiots guide will be appreciated. Many thanks.
    I really don't agree with anyones opinion on the processor here. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (real guitarist use tube amps) and play through a Gibson SG special and a Fender 72 Thinline. The Boss ME-50 is great for many reasons, but I've had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE with my band, and the ME-50 really cannot handle higher volumes, I get the same feedback too when I crank the amp up past 5, also a loud hum noise when none of the effects were on. The compressor on here really doesn't work as well as most stomp boxes, and the noise supressor cuts off the sustain more than (again) most stomp boxes. The only distortions on here that sounded natural were the Boss tones, the metal, DS1, and overdrive sounded very natural. All the other distortions sound really bad. This is not to say that it's a bad processor, I enjoyed it, but realized that when playing at practice or at a larger show, the ME-50 was not designed for playing at these types of situations. This is an ANALOG MULIT-EFFECTS PEDAL, there is no digital sound to any of the effects, boss did a good job with this unit, the modulations, effects actually sound very good, the wah is ok, nothing to write home about. Unfortunately when it's all said and done, I had to trade it in for real stomp boxes. I now use The Marshall Ed-1 compressor, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Pro Co Turbo Rat distortion, Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer, and the Ibanez CF-5 Chorus/Flange and I have all the tone I need. Especially comming from the tubes. Overall I would actually give this pedal a 7, for it's veratilty ease of use, and design. The points fall mostly on practice and live situations when cranking this thing up. I've used this pedal also through a Marshal JCM 2000 stack and I get the same effect when wanting to pump up the master and volume.