ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology

At the moment I use it with a 1970 reissue Fender Strat and a Fender Mexican Tele, along with either a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt or a Marshall MG15DFX. Sounds great with either guitar and amp, however when used with the Marshall there is occasional fuzz. On several of the distortion settings there is also unwanted fuzz but this can be controlled with the Noisethreshold feature. I've found most of the fuzzy settings are when the variation feature is on but can be controlled with the noisethreshold. The distortion settings on this unit are great, with 22 different sounds to choose from. I use it for everything from blues to metal and it suits perfectly. The modulation settings do the job, I'm not really fan of phasers and flangers and stuff but they sound ok on this and seem to do the job fine. The delay sounds on this again sound fine with some quite cool extras like the reverse or the space pan option. Several extra effects are available through the expression pedal, including: wah-wah, 2 different octave settings (+1 and -1), voice, resonance and Ring modulation. All of these effects are ok, not amazing but definitely do the job. they can also be used in conjunction with any of the other three stompboxes.

This thing can produce just about everything from acoustic (has 2 acoustic settings on the tone modifier) to metal and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone, from guitarists buying their first pedals to gigging pro's. Is also great value for money and has served me well so far.

So far the only problem I've had with this unit is how fast it goes through batteries. It takes six AA at a time, and goes through them pretty fast, about a week when used for an hour/2 hours at a time. However a power supply is available, which easily gets around this. Due to the fact that this thing has steel casing it can take just about any reasonable punishment you can give, but I wouldn't advise over doing it just because you can. I would definitely use this for a gig and am intending to.

This unit is about as simple as it gets when it comes to multi-FX pedals, within minutes of getting it out the box and setting it up I was getting the sounds I wanted, which was made all the more impressive as it's the first pedal I've bought and used! Everything is clearly labelled and if further explanation/reference is needed then the manual is available and should be able to answer any questions you might have. Writing and Editing custom patches is also simple enough to do. The manual does everything it should with short but clear explanations on what each dial/knob does but due to the simplicity of this thing you don't really need to use it that much. You can also get several settings of the Boss website's interactive feature which can help if you just wanna get straight to it. the tuner is also easily accessible by pressing the distortion and modulation pedals at the same time, this is also labelled. Overall this thing is pretty much idiot proof, but if you want further guidance then the manual and website provide all the info you should need.

METAL4LYF
    hey can someone pls give me some patch settings i could use so that my effects could sound good like metallica or carlos santana effect
    Norwegian_Slash
    METAL4LYF
    Norwegian_Slash : In the first review he said you could save up to 3 different sounds on it.. How do you do that? I've had my Me50 for a couple of weeks but I can't figure out how to do it.. duh look at the manual. go to memory mode the press edit then set ur effect settings and press write two times
    the_lil_rocker
    i thought i should get some BOSS stomp boxes but i needed lyk at LEAST 3...Distortion,Delay and Compressor Sustainer, Plus a Cry Baby...and i new BOSS was a GOOD brand. but 2 buy that stuff it would cost me a good Grand! (i live in NZ, NZ dollor=1/2 US) i ended up getting the ME-50...ITS ROCKS! ALL THE BUILT IN EFFECTS ARE JST BOSS STOMPBOXES COMBINED!!!! AND ITS SO EASY TO USE!!! AND GREAT 4 GIGS!
    toasted_lemming
    Yeah, I've been really happy with this...except for that damn wah (grrr)...oh, and buy a 9V AC adapter from an electronics shop like maplins for 6 (i have no idea US, sounds like about $4) rather than paying the earth for an official Boss one which will break just as easily as the cheap unbranded one (official one is 9.6V, but if you used batteries before then they were almost never providing this power output...don't let the technobabble put you off saving money
    d_jinn
    ...does me-50 have ..a metronome or anything like tht for tht matter ....??
    the_lil_rocker
    Does anyone kno some KILLER settings? for different styles??? i really want a SETTING 2 SOUND LYK AVENGED SEVENTHFOLD, or SLASH!!!