ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Guitar center

I use this unit with my Ibanez RG3EX1 and my Crate glx 212 amp. I actualy bought this so that I could get some softer distortions from it. My amp had already had some hardcore metal distortion, but I could never find anything soft on it. This unit can be slightly noisy, but it has a noise suppressor that works pretty damn well in my opinion. The effects always sound top knotch, and I especially like using the trem, vibrato, flanger, and phaser. They let me get a funky sound out of it while keeping the sound intact.

I play mostly metal, but I also like some punk stuff as well as funk and ragae. This is perfect for all types of music because of the huge amount of versatility in the unit. I have been playing for about 4 years now and the only other pedal I have is a Boss mega distortion pedal. The only thing I didn't like about this product is that it doesnt't come with the AC adaptor, which is about another 15 bucks to purchase. I think if this were stolen I would be angry, but I would continue collecting stompboxes, because everyone knows stompboxes are better. I compared this product to a lot of Line 6 products, mainly the POD and POD XT. I chose this unit because it has a more analog sound, while the Line 6 stuff sounds a little artificial and digital.

While I have not had a chance to gig with this unit yet, I believe that it would be 100% dependable. I would No Doubt use this unit without a backup because it is solid as a rock. I am hoping to get a large amount of tompboxes in the future when I get more moolah, but I am low on that now so I will have to wait, for now this is perfect for me.

This unit kind of scared me at first, because I have only used one stompbox in my life and that was the Boss mega distortion. However, when I started using it, I realized that it was very easy to get a great sound out of. just a flick of the wrist on a few knobs and I could get some crazy tones, from acoustic, to Incubus, to In Flames. it also makes it very easy to store your own sounds, although I would like to get the footswitches so I can switch banks on the fly.

OttovanZanten
    the wahwah sucks ass, i think, barely noticable at most the the frequencys. If u want a good wahwah too, buy a cheap behringer v-amp multi-effect. Also pretty good stuff, but no boss ofcourse
    E V H 5150
    I played one at a music shop through an amp I can't remember, and the HP Signature EXP I'm about to get. It was freakin' awesome. I was thinking about getting an MG halfstack from Marshall, with the DFX to save on pedals. But I think this will be a lot better. I thought the reverb was a little weak, though. And the distortion wasn't enough for me. But in defense of this masterpiece, I couldn't have anything too loud because I was in a store. I absolutely loved the phazer, with the distortion and delay all at once. It had an easy-to-use tuner, which was nice. It's way cheaper than buying a whole bunch of pedals, and the interface was so easy. I fell in love with this pedal the second I started messing around on it. I just wish I could have done more with it while trying out the guitar. I went to the store for a Jack Daniel's EX, and instead got an HP Sig EXP, and also knowing what to buy next. I loved the octave effects, and I tried out the wah a little. I hadn't used an expression pedal before, but I'll figure it out. It was extremelly easy to get some space-sounds. I just messed around with some bending, volume swells, slides and hammer-ons. I used the delay a little, but I had to leave before I could explore the full potential of the ME-50. I'm 100% sure I'm buying one once I get a more respectable amp, because a 15W Marshall, though it is a Marshall, isn't going to last. I would pay the $300 for this anyday. And I'm going to. Dammit, I love this thing. I loved the phazer. I loved everything about it. Everything. I'm just repeating myself constantly, though. Dam, I want the ME-50 so badly...
    red_hot_guitar
    I bought an ME-50 a couple of days ago now, taking the advice from many of my guitaring mates i went into a music shop and tried it before i splashed out on it. I couldn't get over the choice of effects. After reading the first review here i agree: the ME-50 needs a way to use 2 or more effects at a time. Otherwise I am completely satisfied and I'm glad I only had to pay 120(GBP)for it.
    bc2025
    i got da me 50 a while ago and it is brill. the choice of effects is just right for a small band but i find that the expession pedal seems to losen up after a while playin but except for that i would recomend it to anyone. !!!
    Shizzster
    Yea this pedal is GREAT! i got one about 3 months ago, cost about 400 bucks from long and mequade, i have it playing through a marshall mg 50, and i use a epiphone les paul ultra, the distortions are great and along with all the other effects, the hramonisize setting or whatever is also really neat, id say the lony weak point about it is that it dosesnt come with a case or adapter and that the expression pedal isnt strong, but dont get me wrong its decent, if u look at the fact that it has 6 differnt settigns for one pedal its amazing, octave 1+ will cut out sometimes when ur playing notes closer to the bridge but u have to hold it for a while. all in all this pedal is amazing especially for a price, i play in a band we play a lot of different styles so its good that this baby is very versatile, one thing i noticed is that sometimes ull get some naasty cracking sounds coming through the amp but it can easily be fixed by just turning down the master volume down on the ME-50 and raising it up on the amp :p, if u need versatility and REALLY nice distorion this pedal is for u especially with the sick price!
    eddiekain
    I have a Boss me-50 and well what can i say its the best thing since sliced bread. Theres so many different sounds you can get out of it. The instruction manual was very helpful in helping to get to know how the unit worked and as for the unit itself, id say it could stand up to a good hammerin'. No doubt about it i give this fx unit a 10!
    victimofbodom
    ok heres the deal im reading all this can sum1 answer me these questions: 1) ok i wanna gig with this thing but supposedly it cannot handle loads of volume is this true can i no play on stage? 2) can i use my dunlop GCB95 as my wah instead? 3) what do you mean two effects at once cannot be used (first review) thank you
    Under_Score247
    oh yeh.. since there are only 3 banks i need help on wat effects to use for the patches.. i need the best 3.. plz help
    Mailbox Arson
    i love this pedal but has ive having trouble with the memory bank and patching. when im setting a patch, the volume is way lower then when its on manual even though thr settuings are the same, also the delay is f**ked, i try setting patch for one of my banks but its just not wiritng the effect, the delay is totally not what it sounds like when i play it on manual..help.
    pfricky98
    the me-50 might be the best multi-effects pedal ever. every effect sounds perfect and its extremely versatile.