ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

There are 11 types of delay, 22 distortion/Overdrive types, 11 modulations, and 4 types of reverb, plus an expression pedal with 6 types of effects(volume, wah, resonance, voice, ring mod, +1 octave, and -1 octave). I love the Distortion/Overdrives. They are based on other pedals such as the MT-2, DS-1, the Tube Screamer, Big Muff, and 18 more. The modulations are great too. There's rotary, harmonist, chorus, phaser, tremolo, pan, vibrato, uni-V, and flanger. One of the only things I don't like about the effects is the Wah. It's not deep enough for me, but it might be just fine for you. One thing I love about the ME-50 is that it has a "Tone Modifier". I love this thing. You can change your tone to "tight, mild, presence, fat, enhance, S-H (single pickup to humbucker), H-S (humbucker to single pickup), H-HF, hollow, and acoustic.

I play all kinds of music, rock, ska, blues, ect., and it is perfect for all of them. I can get a great crunchy distortion for rock, a clean tenory sound for ska, and a smooth, creamy Overdrive for the blues. If I lost this one, I would definately buy another one. I love the effects, the distorion/overdrive, delay, everything about it. The only things I don't like about it is the wah is not as deep as I had wished, the Noise Suppressor is pretty brutal to your tone if you have it to high, and that Boss doesn't include a footswitch or an ac adapter. But all in all, I suggest you buy the ME-50 if you're are looking for a multi-effect pedal.

This is a Boss we're talking about. You couldn't hurt it if you tried. Solid as a rock. I would, and I have, definately use it at a gig without a backup. It does get sort of annoying to be putting all your weight on the expression pedal every time you turn it on and off though.

It's very simple to use. There are no menus, you just Pick the effect you want and set the settings. There are 30 preset patches that you can change to your likings or keep how they are. It's just like a chain of indivdual Boss stompboxes. To edit, all you do is find the patch you want to edit, press the "write" button, fix all the settings like you want them, and press the "write" button again. It's that easy.

highway_star
    There is apparently a slight but obvious delay when moving from one patch to another - according to other reviews elsewhere (Harmony Central). Is there anyway of getting around this?
    Shizzster
    yea the delay is a bitch, and i have not found away to get around it, although you could just have it in manual mode and set the settings to what you want and add effects that way to get rid of the delay
    Shizzster
    victimofbodom wrote: ok heres the deal im reading all this can sum1 answer me these questions: 1)ok i wanna gig with this thing but supposedly it cannot handle loads of volume is this true can i no play on stage? 2)can i use my dunlop GCB95 as my wah instead? 3) what do you mean two effects at once cannot be used (first review) thank you
    it depends on your amp, i have a MG 50 and i have more than enough volume and the master volume on ME is always at half, if you turn it up the sound starts to get scratchy. i dont noe the answer to ur second question but for your last one: there is a dedicated pedal for 3 groups of effects they are Distortion, Modulation and Delay, so suppose you want to use two types of effects in the Modulation group eg. Chorus and tremlo, since there is only one footswitch it is not possible.
    greemo
    omg ive just got this for my birthday, well it not actually my birthday i quickly snook a go and n i played on it for 10 mins tops !! it was amazing unbelievably easy to use no doubt about it , the distortions in this baby are ace, i can get pantera outta this thing its ace ! i didnt get chance to check ot all the modulations but the delays n the pedal are supperb, dunlop, meh same thing really! the octaves are sweet, didnt use the others, the compresser/sustainer is brill and the noise gate is really good forget paying 90 for a mxr one, oyu get this one with it ! ha ! overall its an amazing piece of kit one which i shall never tire of using !! 10/10 !!!
    NiK-117
    one thing i hate is the nasel muting you can get with some distortions on multi-effects, especially the zoom g2. are ANY of the distortions nasel when you mute on this thing or not? how do they compare to boss's single stomps?
    frusciante_fan!
    I'm Trying to decide whether to buy this model or the "zoom G2" and im not sure which to buy. Can anyone give me an idea which on to go with?
    roosterfish9
    does me-50s tuner just tune standard EBGDAE or does it also tune sharps and flats for certain songs? please reply if you have pedal