ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: www.Gak.com

I use this with my LAG Arkane guitar, plugged into a PA system. and it sounds better than an amp! the sound quality is amazing, and I could recreate any musician's tone if I wished to. I'm really into Steve Vai's music and this work's really well, the Wah is all you could expect from one in a multi-effects. And if, for example, I am using my Metal patch and there is too much buzzing, then all I do is crank up the Noise Supressor a little, and it does nothing to the quality of the sound coming out from the speakers.

I'm into loads of music styles, but rock and metaly styles, mostly Steve Vai, is where my playing is, and this is a perfect match. I can't see mylself upgrading it for several years, and if it breaks, I'll probably get another one. I have been playing for 2 years and a bit, and I love the instrument, but I think before I got this, I was losing the passion to play because I was getting naff sounds from my amp and previous box. However I think this has re-kindled teh fire in my and the guitar's relationship. No longer am I afraid to crank it up to full, just in case the neighbours hear me and think 'oh dear another wannabe'. There is one thing that tickels me a little about it, and that is that the three pedals on the front mean I can alternate between patch 1.1, 1.2 and 1.2, but there is no pedal to alternate between 1.1 and 2.1, there are two buttons on the top of the unit, and that means I have to bend down and press it with my fingers, it's not a real problem, but it wastes a little of my valuable playing time, silly I know. So far it has everything I need, but I'm sure there are units with more effects, but I must say that I tried almost every other unit available in this price range, and this was the best. I wouldn't change it for anything! Peace Out and Keep Rockin!

I don't gig at the moment, but if I did, I would probably not have a backup as this is just so reliable, for as long as I have had it (several months) nothing has gone wrong, appart from my sister breking a cable which has nothing to do with the box.

This is a killer effects box, and it is so easy to use. Just twidle the knobs until you get the sound you want and press 'write'. No nasty menus to scrole through and in the manual it describes what each effect does and what every knob does. Which I loved because the last effects box I had, the manual was really badly written. But this is awesome. I couldn't ask for more.

RyonShallPerish
    ive had one for a couple of years and not really suffered when playing gigs but i think its a case of havin the levels sorted!! although i know what your saying i think it is a slightly harsh judgement on a brilliant and cheap multi-effects unit!!! buy one if your reading this
    DareBear02 wrote: I have a Marshall AVT275, Fender strat USA series and use the Boss ME-50 fx processor. The other guitarist in our band has exactly the same equipment as me apart from the fx processor. He uses a Boss GT6 and goes through the fx loop whereas I go through the front of my amp. Never been a problem until this week when we needed to turn the volume up a notch to match our new drummer who is a lot louder than the previous one. When I turned my volume up to match the other guitarist I got awful feedback so I tried going through the fx loop. Seemed great until I introduced the tremelo which was so weak it wasn't noticeable and my programmed banks that had distortion/overdrive were all clean?? I have been to 3 music shops and each adviser has given me a different set up, including connecting the send from the rear of the amp to the input on the front of the amp with the fx loop returns connected to the ME-50 outputs. If I didn't have the sense to turn all volumes down beforehand the high pitched sound that came out as I went to turn up might well have deafened me so God knows what it would have done to the amp! Any suggestions? Please bear in mind the following: It is nothing to do with single coil pickups as the other guitarist has the same. I do not have the master volume on ME-50 too high. I have contacted Roland/Boss customer support and finally, I am not technically minded so an idiots guide will be appreciated. Many thanks. I really don't agree with anyones opinion on the processor here. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (real guitarist use tube amps) and play through a Gibson SG special and a Fender 72 Thinline. The Boss ME-50 is great for many reasons, but I've had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE with my band, and the ME-50 really cannot handle higher volumes, I get the same feedback too when I crank the amp up past 5, also a loud hum noise when none of the effects were on. The compressor on here really doesn't work as well as most stomp boxes, and the noise supressor cuts off the sustain more than (again) most stomp boxes. The only distortions on here that sounded natural were the Boss tones, the metal, DS1, and overdrive sounded very natural. All the other distortions sound really bad. This is not to say that it's a bad processor, I enjoyed it, but realized that when playing at practice or at a larger show, the ME-50 was not designed for playing at these types of situations. This is an ANALOG MULIT-EFFECTS PEDAL, there is no digital sound to any of the effects, boss did a good job with this unit, the modulations, effects actually sound very good, the wah is ok, nothing to write home about. Unfortunately when it's all said and done, I had to trade it in for real stomp boxes. I now use The Marshall Ed-1 compressor, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Pro Co Turbo Rat distortion, Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer, and the Ibanez CF-5 Chorus/Flange and I have all the tone I need. Especially comming from the tubes. Overall I would actually give this pedal a 7, for it's veratilty ease of use, and design. The points fall mostly on practice and live situations when cranking this thing up. I've used this pedal also through a Marshal JCM 2000 stack and I get the same effect when wanting to pump up the master and volume.