ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

I'm using a Gibson SG Standard through a 120w Laney Tube Fusion. I'm not happy with the distortion on the Laney amp, but it has a great clean tone, so I use the Boss Distortion on the ME-50. I just realised that this pedal has a "scream" Overdrive, which tries to copy the Ibanez tubescreamer 808, a pedal that I might buy soon. I usually use the BD-2 distortion to get a rockin tone. This thing isn't noisy at all, it will only buzz if I use a crappy cable. The effects are pretty good, I'm happy with the wah pedal, it's better than the wah on some Korg models in the same price range, their wah's are weak, but this is pretty good with the bridge pickup selected. I mostly play just rock, like The Vines, The Subways, Oasis, Kings Of Leon. It can copy some effects that Arctic Monkeys use on their "Fave. worst nightmare" album (like the "Teddy Picker" solo). It can do the intro to "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day, using the tremolo effect. Using the same effect, you can do the intro to "Guerrilla Radio" by Rage Against The Machine. I can do Audioslave songs, using the 1 octave pedal, I can play "Gasoline", using the +1 octave on the expression pedal, I can do "Like a Stone". The 'rotary' effect can do the exact "Come As You Are" tone by Nirvana. And there's many more cool effects you can do. On the Boss website, there used to be some tips on creating some awesome sounds, but I think they got rid of that, that was very helpful.

I just play rock, this pedal can work all round really, for blues, metal, even "Death Metal", because you can also get some horrible distortions with this. So I guess this is a good match for now, I want to get another distortion/OD pedal, and a new amp, but this pedal has all I need on it. Why go spending $250 on one delay pedal, when you have about 10 delay things on this. I don't really like the tuner on this, but it's the only tuner I have ever used in my life. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. I used to play this with my Jackson js30, because I used to be into some metal music, so I used to get some awesome Whammy bar harmonics coming from this. God knows why I bought the Jackson. The "pan" delay function is awesome with my crappy 10 w practice amp, if use the Left and Right amp inputs and place the amps at opposite sides of the room. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy a 2nd hand one from e-bay, and deck the guy that stole it. What I love about it, it has all the effects I need. My fave feature is definitely the delay. I can record straight onto my laptop using this. I get a cable from the "Aux In" (in the pedal) to my laptop, and I plug my guitar in, and my amp in, so you can hear what you play while you record. Compared to the Korg multi fx pedal in the same price range, this one kicks it's ass. I just wish it came with an adapter.

I can definitely depend on this, I've played gigs with this with my band. The only thing that has gone wrong is the Ac adapter fell out of the electrical bank/socket, so the pedal switched off during a song at a gig, so you could back it up with 6 batteries just to be on the safe side. I would use it at a gig without backup. Oh, and one time during a gig, we were outside and it was daytime, so I couldn't see any of the lights, and I accidentally put it on memory mode, instead of stomping the "Mod" pedal, and I had the worst harmonist tone ever, and I was playing chords, and I couldn't really hear myself, so I kept playing while everyone was looking at me, thinking what the hell am I playing. The casing won't break unless you throw it off a cliff, however the pedals are made from plastic, so treat them with respect, I never really stomp hard on mine. But they are pretty strong.

This pedal is really easy to use. On the first day, I had no clue how to use it, and neither did the guy at the guitar store, he had no clue what the pedal did. So I took it home, read the manual, gave up on the manual, and figured it out for myself. I've only edited one patch because I was doing some experimenting with switching between patches in memory mode, I was seeing if there was a delay when you swap patches, and there is, so when playing Live, you can only really Switch patches in breaks of the song, when you're not playing. e.g when playing a song, say I'm on a mild distortion tone (on the first pedal), then I want more gain and a tremolo effect for the chorus, (so I press the second pedal, but there's a slight pause when switching). Other than that, it's pretty easy to edit the patches. The manual is pretty decent, I haven't really read it, but I will need to, in order to figure out what the "tap" and "hold" things do on the delay.

Rational_Gaze
    I have played several gigs with this pedal and I will say -about it not handling higher volumes- thats a load of bullshit. Those people must have some seriously shit amps or just be retards who turn everything up full and wonder why they can't get a good sound. I think the effects are all great for the price. This is really the best you can do in this price range. As for the distortion models, they are ok, as long as you use them with a valve/tube amp or something with a tube preamp. This is I think because they are analogue effects so they do not work well with modelling amps, especially the line 6 spiders. It works ok with some (analogue?)Solid State ampt though
    fleasaprentice
    i've got one of these the biggest downfall is a cut in sound when you change between saved patches.... i would not recommend buying one...
    Multiplayerjon
    Rational_Gaze wrote: I have played several gigs with this pedal and I will say -about it not handling higher volumes- thats a load of bullshit. Those people must have some seriously shit amps or just be retards who turn everything up full and wonder why they can't get a good sound. I think the effects are all great for the price. This is really the best you can do in this price range. As for the distortion models, they are ok, as long as you use them with a valve/tube amp or something with a tube preamp. This is I think because they are analogue effects so they do not work well with modelling amps, especially the line 6 spiders. It works ok with some (analogue?) Solid State ampt though
    It's a hard word (Underlined) But learn to spell PLEASE!!!
    chris024
    i have one, its not bad, not as great as the reviews make it sound. i dont use the distortion since i have a tube stack but when using a practice amp is does have some nice distortion tones if you play with it, i use the delay and modulation pedals more than anything. the wah is sub-par compared to a crybaby. i only hook it up to my stack th4rough the effects plugs, and make sure i can turn the pedal off completely when im not using it as it still gives you a sort of digital sound when compared to the strait tube sound if you have every effect off. maybe i just like my guitar tones(tele standard, tele custom) but i never use the compression, tone modifiers, reverb(spring reverb on amp, so no digital), or sustain. im not going to say its not a good pedal, cause i still bring it with me to every band practice, and plan on having it on stage with me. its pretty tough, but the wah/volume pedal ive been having trouble turning on and off at will and have resorted to playing entire songs with the wah on if need be. the pedal does have some cool features, the voice and resonance can get some cool sound similar to wah, but different enough to warrent them being there. the delay and mod pedals almost make the whole thing worth it. theres tons of little features, i just wish the loop delay was longer than 2 or 3 seconds. those 2 switches alone almost make it worth it. i wouldnt pay $400 for it, but i'd probobly pay $200. good pedal, not great. nothing i'd wana use for recording.
    chris024
    oh, i'll add to it that even though it spilt on the distortion half of the pedal, i did drop a beer on it once, which was 4 months before i started having wah on/off problems, but i figure thats worth adding. no problems with anything for months after it happened, so i doubt its related. so it could show its durability?