ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Price paid: £ 149.99

Purchased from: Birmingham NEC Music Live 2006

I have used it through a variety of amps, and gotten similar strengths and weaknesses from the pedal from all of them. The modulations and delays are world-class, the distortions.. not so much. There's 22 distortion models (they are COSM amp/stomp box models), and I only really use a few of them. Some of them just sound really nasty. Some are usable, though. I particularly like "MODERN DS". I always use the pedal in front of any amp, and it's always performed well, noise-wise. There's never any noticeable addition of noise to the signal chain, aside from when one uses one of the terrible distortion models. There's also 6 really cool expressions for the pedal. Though the wah-wah will probably be your most used one. In a nutshell, it's worth having simply for the mods and the delays. There's 11 modulations, and 11 delays. In my opinion, they are pretty much as good as any stand-alone unit, or so close that the difference is negligible. The built-in reverbs are also pretty good (better than the distortions, but not as good as the delays or modulations). There's an awesome noise gate, which really works great, and a compressor which I can never get to sound any good (that could just be me, though). There's also a tone-modifier that I never usually use. Basically, you can kind of make a humbucker sound like a single coil with it, and so on. I'm going to give the sound of the uni an 8, for while most of the distortion models aren't all that (a few are good, though), the rest of the features more than make up for it. You pretty much could just have an ME-50, and then just buy your favourite stand-alone distortion box, and you'd be rocking.

For a single item, and a pretty cheap one at that (as effects units go), I've been blown away by the ME-50. It totally adds to your sound and tonal options in many great ways. It even has a really accurate tuner built in. Really the only drawback is the plethora of bad distortions. Though within them are three or four good, usable ones to be found. So if three or four good distortions, a bucket full of world-class modulations and delays, sound features like a reliable tuner, a quality noise gate, a compressor (which I've no idea how good it is or isn't), reverbs, tone modifying, great expression modes on the pedal, and undoubtedy other stuff that I don't even know about, then get an ME-50. It's even at that sweet size that's just before the point where it's too big to take around easily. I can chuck my ME-50 in my shoulder bag. I would heartily recommend this unit to anyone.

The thing is as absolute tank. Metal construction, with heavy-duty knobs and buttons that are made to take a thrashing and still work.

I've had this for two years, now. It's been gigged, and is rock solid. It's the only Boss item I own (well, you could count my Micro Cube, since Roland own Boss, or the other way around), and it has definitely lived up to their reputation for building robust products made for the working musician. You can edit and store a whole bunch of patches on it, but to be honest, I only ever use it in manual mode. Not because the patch editing is difficult- I've just never bothered with it. The manual mode is good enough for me, since you can dial in things really quickly. Because I've never bothered with patches, I've also never bothered reading the manual. Suffice to say, manually, it is rather self-explanatory.

tom_martin_123
    bradwhiteuk
    tom_martin_123 wrote: i know this may be a silly question... but when you buy it does it come with all the relevant cables and adapters?
    Not sure what you mean by cables, but with regards to an adapter; unless it specifically says otherwise, it doesn't come with one. You would normally have to buy that separately for around 20 (for an official Boss one).
    roberto123
    DeathByDestroyr
    ive got one, nice pedal...i would rather have 1,000 stomboxes, but for the price it is great and sounds a lot nicer through a high-end amp than any amp emulator-based unit
    ME-262-ME-kc
    Notmewtwoguitar
    gallagher2006 wrote: Got this for 30 off a pawn shop. Best 30 I've ever spent, coincidently =]
    I'm not normally one to go green with jealousy... but I am now :O 30!!!! I'm looking to buy this at 145, and then the extra money for an adaptor as well!
    myearshurt
    Just got mine, wah sucks salty balls, you can't even hear it with distortion on, alright on cleans though, but still sucks. Distortion models, most of them suck. Noise gate is crap. Modulation and delay is decent.
    roberto123 wrote: Ordered this couple days ago...is it possible to go from one effect to the other during one song? say for example, distrotion with flanger to distortion with harmonist?
    No, you'd have to bend down and turn the knob.
    ME-262-ME-kc wrote: ok, quick question. I got the line 6 spider 3 15. Its a 8 inch single speaker with distortion, crunch, and clean. Would the ME-50 or the ME-20 sound better. by the way, ive just started playen like 4 months ago. Please answer
    No, don't bother, you've already got effects on your ampp, get the ME50 when you've got a better amp. Actually, don't get the ME50 if you can afford individual pedals, the effects aren't that great.
    breedlove822
    i'm super new to looking into this so it's a neophite question. I'm looking to acheive some new sounds with my acoustic breedlove ... with an integrated pickup of course. Ibanez amp...
    bluefu_k
    hey does anyone have any problem with super bad feedback when they use the Metal od anywhere near maximum drive? n by bad feedback i mean getting feedback 20ft(literally) away? or is it just my 12-year old Epi LP? :/