ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Ebay

In general the effects included in this unit will get the job done, but by no means can be compared to the quality you'll get out of a couple of good individual pedals. For instance, the distortion is fairly weak except for a couple of settings. The chorus sounds a little too digital, but that's fine for me, I play mostly Post-punk, Noise Rock, Dance Punk and Shoegazing, so I do not see this as a serious issue, but people Who play other style (for example, clasic rock) would find this to be a serious problem. The Wah is alright, but I'm not quite a fan of it, so I guess I'm not really reliable on my opinion regarding it's performance on the ME-50. On the other hand, the flanger and phaser effects are pretty decent as well as the "voice" effect you can get out of the expression pedal. My current setup with wich I use the Boss ME-50 is a JTK2, a GRG170DX and a Custom guitar, and my amp being a Marshall Valvestate.

About 6 months ago, due to a missfortunated incident, all my pedals got seriously damaged so I decided to buy a multi-effect unit until I could save enough money to replace my pedals. I bought the Boss ME-50 and can't complain so far, still I want to save enough money to replace my pedals. I've been playing for about 7 years now, and my favourite styles are noise-rock, post-punk, shoegazing, etc. So this multi-effect pedal satisfies my needs, but still guess I can get better. If it got lost or damaged, I would not buy it again, because I just bought it as a backup for my pedals but I would deffinelty recommend this effect processor to people Who has have no experience with stompboxes and wants to experiment a bit before expending lots of money on individual units, they will not be dissapointed. My overall impression is that the Boss ME-50 is quite good, yet, not impressive.

the ME-50 seems well built, I bought it second hand and still looks alright. I guess I would not use it on a gig, not because of the durability, mostly because of the sound quality, it just does not covers the standards for a decent gig, in my opinion. But I'd definetly take it to rehearsals and for room practice. I've read a couple fo reviews saying that the unit stopped working suddenly, which I find it hard to believe, since I've had no problem so far and I repeat, I bought it second-hand.

This multi-effect unit is quite easy to use and includes a wide variety of effects and features some people would find quite handy and useful, it also includes a Chromatic Tuner and 30 preset patches which you can edit and replace with your own in a quick and easy way. A problem with this would be changing between patches or settings manually, so if you pretend to keep it for a long time, or to use it a lot (e.g. for gigs), I would recommend to buy a footswitch; that way, you can change between settings, or patches banks in a faster and easier way. If you want to get a better performance out of this multi-effect processor, I strongly recommend to read the manual, otherwise you'll be missing some important features.