ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects

I bought this unit expecting a simple, effective interface, and good sound quality, and I got both. I'm playing the ME-70 with a MIM Fender Telecaster, and a Washburn Idol 64 Deluxe, run through a Randall RG 75 hybrid combo. I've yet to play it through a PA, but I can say that through an amp, I'd recommend forgoing the amp modeling, and just using the excellent 4-band EQ setting. Through headphones, the amp modeling sounds really nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to play direct through a PA or record with this. Through headphones, my Tele is a bit noisy on the higher-gain distortions, but I'll Live. The effects are very nice, just what I'd expect from Boss. If you're looking for crazy off-the-wall type effects for your music, you'll have a tough time here, but I play in an Indie-Electro band and an Ambiance-Visual band, and the effects work fine for those. At home, when I'm just jamming out the blues, or to my favorite songs, the overdrives and distortions are really great, with a bit of EQ-twiddling. I don't really strive to get any sounds for my favorite artists (Led Zeppelin, BB King, Nine Inch Nails, Modwheelmood, Radiohead, etc) but from what I can tell, you can get just about any general tone you want with this thing. The only effects or sounds that struck me as a bit weak were the octave (I used to own an EHX Multiplexer, so maybe I'm spoiled) and the wah (but any Crybaby owner will say that). The chorus isn't necessarily weak, but it's nothing special. It can get nice n thick though, if you're into that.

Like I said, I play in an Ambiance-Visual band (Radioheadish, but different) and an Indie-Electro band. But at home, I play just about everything, from black metal, to Acoustic, to blues, to classic rock, etc. This pedal has been working just fine so far, you just have to work with the settings a bit (certainly less than the monstrous Line 6 and DigiTech boards I've played). It's probably important to know that I used to be a die-hard stompbox player. I was all about individual analog effects. I still certainly see the advantage, but financial issues, as well as convenience led me to this board. For other stompbox users, I'd highly recommend it over any other multi-effects board. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely get a new one. Even if you're intent on playing with individual stompboxes, this would make a great backup, or practice untit. I used to hate multi-effects, but Boss really got the job done here.

I'd definitely depend on this, and though I haven't yet, I'd easily gig with this thing without a backup. Its made of sturdy metal and the only thing I'd fear is for the plastic stomp switches. Otherwise, the knobs, expression pedal, and everything else seem fine.

The Boss ME-70 is exactly what it claims to be: Intuitive. It takes a bit to find how to get the kind of sound you want, but with a very small amount of practice, it comes naturally. It's especially nice for any of you Who are like me, and hate the menu-shifting multi-effects unit's that have become increasingly popular. Also, it's got tap-tempo for just about every effect. To be honest, I don't work much with the patches, I just use it in Manual Mode (basically it works just like a board of stompboxes in this mode) but from what I've heard, the patch system is not great because once you have a patch set, you can't edit it on the fly. The manual is just fine and explains everything pretty well (in many languages!). And one final note: The built in patches are actually of some use, unlike most multi-effects of this price.

lukegjpotter
    How long have you had it? Whats the patch switching time like (noticeable delay/unnoticeable/other)?
    decayingdave
    Burney123456789
    I tested this pedal out last weekend and I was completely blown away by it. No doubt buying individual stompboxes would be better but if finance is a problem then this thing will do the job
    h3llang3l
    I have the ME-50, but side by side, doesn't the ME-50 do more then the ME-70? Because when I looked the ME-70 didn't have as many effects in total. Still, most likely it's still an awesome piece of kit.
    RGshred88
    i looked into the me-70 a while back...honestly im so glad i go individual stompboxes instead. much better quality to me. but hey these things own in practicality.
    sharkbait151
    ive had the me-70 for about 3 months now and i absoluetly love this unit. i actually went too GC to get the me-50 but was told that they upgraded to the 70. i play through a kk warlock and a crate gtx120 amp and this sounds great. i recommend the me-70 for anyone looking for a multi fx unit. i also never use the pre sets or the patches i can play most of the music i play with just a turn of the knob. again awesome unit.
    cblowrun
    decayingdave wrote: Seems a little dated, but no doubt useful (I'm only saying that 'cus I use a GT-10...). Good article.
    dude, they are very different, ME-70 came out just a few months ago
    pinecone
    i'm looking at getting my first effects unit, i havent really experimented with them before, but i just wanted to know whether this would be good for a first multi effects board. I've been playing for 4 years now. Thanks