ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects

I'm running this pedal into a Peavey Classic 50 Amplifier on the clean channel, and playing a Schecter Blackjack-ATX Solo 6 with it. I love the tones and effects that this pedal provides... It's extremely versatile. I generally play rock, hard rock, and some metal and I get great sounds for all of those genres. Once in a while I dabble in bluegrass and blues, and I've been able to get some sick tones in that direction as well. I'm not sure how able the pedal is to match the tones of other artists because I prefer not to copy and really shape my own tones, but I'm pretty confident that the ME-70 would be able to crank out sounds for a ton of different guitarists. While the pedal doesn't provide sound that's as nice as running through an expensive amp head and cabinet in conjunction with a pricey rack mount effects processor, you can't beat the tone for the price.

As I said earlier, the pedal isn't as good as an expensive amp head, cabinet, and rack effects unit, but that should be obvious. However, that being said, this pedal ROCKS! I've been able to get so many different tones out of it that are just killer for rock music and when fiddling around with different effects, I've heard from great light distortion and blues tones as well. You really can't beat this pedal for the price. I intend to keep using this pedal heavily and don't really see a need to add many more pedals into my arsenal. The only additions I can think of are a dedicated Wah pedal (such as the Dunlop Cry Baby) and a 10-band equalizer, because this pedal only has a 4-band equalizer. I compared it to similar products from Line 6 and this pedal won, hands down. I've been a Boss fanatic for years now and this pedal has only strengthened my confidence in the company. If you're looking for an affordable multi-effects processor with tons of killer sounds, this is the pedal for you. You won't be disappointed.

I've come to rely on this pedal almost exclusively and I play with it during band practice twice a week and have taken it out for live shows a couple of times. I've had NO problems what'soever. The metal chassis is very durable and even with aggressive foot stomping and high use of the expression/volume pedal, I've seen absolutely no degradation in its performance. I'm so confident with the pedal that I don't feel the need for a backup.

While it can be a little bit overwhelming at first glance, the ME-70 is actually pretty easy to use. It's laid out like you have a whole bunch of regular stomp boxes in front of you, and I really appreciate having dials as opposed to having to edit sounds through a digital interface. For those who are newer to guitar effects (or those who aren't as picky), the ME-70 has an EZ-Tone button that can be activated. When EZ-Tone is on, the pedal automatically selects pre-programmed settings for each tone/effect, that are all pretty good.