ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects

The sound I get out of this depends on what amp and guitar I'm using. I have a Fender Strat with an HSS set up and an SG with P90s. I have a Peavey Classic 100, a Jet City JCA20H, and Marshall 100 watt solid state head, all run through the Peavey's cabinet. I get the best sounds out of the ME-70 (to me) with either of the tube heads and the Strat's humbucker. But even with that set up, I can't get anything I like from the amp models. I mostly use them just for messing around with headphones on or recording. I haven't found much use for the comp settings, the distortion/od settings are very good, the mod effects are so so. I'm not a big fan of delay, but they sound good. I love the phrase looper for practicing. The expression pedal was probably the biggest surprise for me. Most multi effects units, the expression pedal is more like a toy. This one is actually usable. The Wah is excellent, as is the octave +/-.

Depending on the crowd, I cover everything from The Beach Boys to Slayer, and I can pull it off with this thing. But if I was showing off my own music and wanted to be taken seriously, I doubt I'd use it. In my opinion, it's good for having fun, it would be a good tool for somebody just starting out trying to find what kinds of sounds they like, and an easy way to cover a lot of sonic ground. But if you already have a specific sound, and you're serious about it, there's much better quality out there.

It has a solid chassis, but I'm not confident the foot switches will hold up. And I can see one of the knobs getting kicked off. I mostly play local bars and back yard parties, but if I was a touring musician, I don't think I would depend on this.

I've used a lot of multi effects units, and this one is by far the easiest to use. I only needed the manual to figure out how to save patches and adjust the expression pedal. If you can read, you can figure the rest out easily.

frostGIANT
    Which multi-effects should I buy? Boss Me-70 or Line 6 POD HD300? I'm really confused since both have the same price. Help please. Comments are highly appreciated.