ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Ebay

I am using my custom Telecaster through 60s Gibson Falcon Amp or a Marshall Class 5. It can be noisy depending on the settings, but as good or better than most effects pedals. The effects CAN sound great, they need a little tweaking but if you have good ears and a bit of patience you can get GREAT sounds out of this thing. It is swiss army knife though, so does it get the best sounds I have ever had? No. But that is not what I use this for. If I am being an "artist" I take my little pedalboard. If I am playing a top 40 gig or playing a pit gig, or quick studio session this gets the job done every time. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews is that this thing excels for low-volume situations. If you are playing a pit gig or church gig and can't crank the amp, this sounds a lot better than my other pedalboard, which has some pretty high end pedals on it. There are good sounds to be had on all the effects, are any better than my fave pedals? No, but I am very fond of the defretter! I wish it had an acoustic model like the ME-50.

I am what they used to call a side man. I make most of my money writing music but play quite a lotas I am one of the few guitarists out there who can kinda read. I do a lot of theater work, sessions here and there, church gigs, that kind of thing. I have owned a lot of gear (about 15 guitars), but have been whittling down the collection. If you looked at the list of gear I used to own you may be surprised which gear I kept and which I sold. I am now down to three electric guitars (a nice custom hollow Telecaster, a Strat, and a humbucker equipped Ibanez Talman). I also have a Larivee Acoustic, Banjo, Mandolin and a couple of Basses. I have a few pedals, Boss Tuner, Keeley Compressor, Boss SD-2 (I have owned almost every boutique OD in the business, this is the only one I have kept other than my Barber LTD SR that lives in my gigbag) and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay. I own two guitar amps, a Gibson Falcon and a Marshall Class 5. I sold a lot of amps too, Vintage Fender, Vox, Marshall and Ampeg amps. I also have a few pedals that I don't seem to want to sell, my Tone Rider Chorus, my Voodoo Labs Chorus (I sold my CE-2, and my Retro Sonic Chorus), my Whirlwind phaser, and my modded Vox Wah (True bypass). I have owned almost every delay pedal I can think of too, down to the carbon copy now, simple. I have been playing for 30 years. I would buy the ME 70 again in a heart beat, but I don't think I'll have to. There are probably better sounding units out there, and I have owned a couple (I have sold my Carl Martin Quattro and my Nova System) but the ME 70 excels at being both comprehensive (Asoustic sim aside) AND easy to use in a gig situation. The Carl Martin sounded GREAT, but not better than my pedal board, and didn't have a tuner or a Wah so why not use a pedal board? The Nova System sounded good too, was more versatile, but again does not have a Wah (unless you plug in an expression pedal) and wasn't easy to edit on the fly. So the ME 70 can do anything, very easily but not be better than a small pedal board if you only need a few sounds.

I do use it without a backup, though I do always have an Overdrive pedal in my gig-bag, just in case.

This is a very easy piece of kit to get usable sounds from. You can store your own EZ default patch for each effect, so on a gig getting the right sound is VERY quick. The best thing about the product, really.

fathooker
    h3llang3l wrote: I have the ME-50, but side by side, doesn't the ME-50 do more then the ME-70? Because when I looked the ME-70 didn't have as many effects in total. Still, most likely it's still an awesome piece of kit.
    the me70 has almost just as many effects but also has more features. more things for the pedal mod to do, a loop station, a 4th channel, more banks ect. honestly it really is just the 50 with another channel and some differences in effects/features
    roshan.ghising
    Hi guys, I currently have a ME 50 and I am thinking of upgrading to a ME 70. It is more than just an additional footswitch to its predecessor, that I know for sure cause the preamp feature itself is a big thing that can produce so many tones that you wil forget the list of stupid pedal names on the me 50 and the looper is another great feature.That is why I have made my mind to buy this pedal. But, I have a question to those who own this pedal. Does the delay shut down when you use the looper, I heard ppl say that you cannot even use presets with the looper? So Looper = no Delay ??? Whatever the case I am still going to buy this, but I was just hoping to get an answer beforehand.
    tobycm27
    yes u can get the delay... but not the full option of delays available
    GuitarProperly2
    The analogue delay and the loop station are controlled by the same footswitch so unfortunately you can't do both at the same time but it's a great effects board apart from that!
    Asennevamma
    Hi! I am considering of buying a Me-70 or a Line6 XT live. Can I get ur opinion on this. Are the Boss distortion effect authentic or do they sound too "digital"? I'm thinking of using it on gigs as a preamp without an actual guitar amp, just straight from the effect pedal to the PA... opinions?
    GuitarProperly2
    I really like this effects board, in the time that I've had it (only a few months) it hasn't failed me once, I take it to stage band rehearsals and I also use it just around in my room for practice and the sound from the preamp section is amazing! With all the knobs on this thing you can keep yourself busy for a long time and the most important thing is, the effects work really well and suit my personal needs. I play rock and heavy metal music e.g. Metallica, Megadeth etc. and this board can get seriously distorted, with the preamp and the overdrive you can get crazy sounds, I usually use the R-FIER preamp type and works really well the sort of stuff I play and the delay is customizable which is great if you want to play Welcome To The Jungle and despite what people say the wah isn't actually as bad as they say it is.