ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects

Price paid: € 299

Purchased from: Thomann

The sound is good, and the manual helped me a lot when I first used it, but sometimes it's complicated. As I mentioned before, I never use the ez tone or banks because they're too complicated. However, it is easy to switch effects and to modify the tone. The compressor doesn't make sense, when I'm turning the nobs I don't know if I'm switching the sustain, sens (whatever that is?), attack, tone, level or peak. I wish it would say THAT in the manual. The manual is only full of a bunch of obvious things that anyone could figure out by themselves the first time they even touch the pedal. Overall, it is not too easy or too hard to use. I recommend buying it if you do not want to buy 20 separate different effects.

The sound of the effects on the pedal are really quite nice. The different pre-amps sound amazing and the distortion sounds good too. The EQ offers a large range, which I find useful. The reverb is really good, and you can use room or hall. The output level isn't that great. I would recommend putting a high volume on the amplifier and a low output volume on the pedal, because otherwise the amplifier will sound very distorted. Sometimes the distortion sounds muffled, but overall it sounds good. All of the modulation sounds nice, maybe apart from the octave or the tremolo. I would use separate pedals for that. The pedal FX is nice, especially the wah. However, the volume pedal control isn't that good.

I would use this pedal live, and I would buy it, as it saves money if you don't want to buy 20 different separate effect pedals. The batteries last a long time, and it warns you that it is running out around a week before they actually do. However I still recommend using a DC adapter when available. It says that you should only use a Boss Psa adapter, but there's really no point and just use your own instead of wasting money. You should make it on the adapter so that it has a negative center, not a positive. BE CAREFUL WITH THAT. Once the pedal didn't start up correctly and the volume wasn't working on it. Overall, the pedal is very reliable.

I play a lot of rock and alternative music, and this is useful for that, especially with distortion and delay. I don't usually use the compressor, as I feel it doesn't really do much. I really like the pre-amp section and the distortion. I use a lot of volume and tone change in my own music, and it is easy to switch between effects. Sometimes you can pretend to play bass because of the -1 octave pedal fx. The tuner's good, and it works with a bass as well. I don't have any pedals for my bass, but I only use this for delay, reverb or volume because the distortion or preamp would never sound good and it could ruin your amp. I don't really get the 'ez tone' and tone banks, and I never use them. I just write down all the settings I've used for every song and keep them somewhere. There is one minor problem that sometimes when you want to put, let's say, the distortion drive to 70/99, sometimes you get stuck between switching between 69 and 71. However, I'm sure that is not a HUGE problem, unless you have OCD or something. The different pedals are also a suitable distance away from each other.

naresh07
    Is there any way BOSS ME 70 loop can accommodate a rhythm of more than 38 secs? Say, Sultans of Swing - the rhythm of which exceeds 38 secs. Can this be played using this BOSS ME 70? I am planning to buy one processor and so I have been researching on this. Please comment.
    Thundercnt
    The wah doesn't sound that bad, or that good, but the expression pedal is a major problem for me. I wish when it isn't being a volume pedal it "clicked" on and off. Whammy effects and wah turn on/off too easily. It's tough to play because of that. I just went to open up the throttle on the thing and it turns the effect off. My crybabies weren't like that.