ME-80 Guitar Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-80 Guitar Multiple Effects

Purchased from: Nevada Music, uk

Really easy to use! Editing is very simple. Manual is easy to read. Maybe need more patches - is 72 enough for a covers band? Although I am very happy with it. If you are in a covers band and need to go from acoustic to rock to metal to weird and wonderful sound no one has heard before then this is fabulous. You can also use it as individual stomp boxes - I think that's about 8 in total. I really can't fault it at all for ease of use - I mean how much easier is it to press a pedal.

Maybe a drawback is that you don't know what settings you had on each patch - i.e. if I go back to a patch I created 6 months ago there's no way of knowing (apart from listening carefully) what settings I was using and what value of each setting I was using. So I've written these down so I don't forget. Actually for some people that may be a big deal if they have created an amazing wall of sound.

I've had this for 6 months now so know it pretty well. The effects are mostly very good. The amp models are excellent - I mean they are all very good - no bad ones at all. The amp models are:

• Clean (simulates an amp with a flat response)
  • Tweed (Fender Bassman)
  • Combo (Vox AC30)
  • Crunch (their own)
  • Drive (their own high gain amp)
  • Stack (Marshall Plexi 1959)
  • Metal (Bogner Ubershall).
All the amp models and their gain settings sound good plugged into my Marshall DSL - and in fact they all sound better than the DSL's various crunch and gain sounds - although in reality in my set up they're being altered by the DSL's own clean preamp so maybe that plays a part. At very high gains they start to sound digital but do you really need that much gain?

The echo's echo! The other effects do what they're supposed to. The distortion effects sound digital but I use the amp models anyway. The overdrive/tube screamer effects are good. The harmomizer doesn't sound completely natural although it is good. The overtone effect is useful - it generates a sound an octave higher and an octave lower than the note you are playing - this can thicken up your solos.

There are 9 user banks with 4 patches in each. Plus each patch can be modified using the CTL pedal - so this makes 9*4*2 = 72 different user sounds accessed from a pedal press. So far I've used up 5 banks in setting all the sounds I want. Acoustic simulator is good to make your electric guitar sound like an acoustic.

I think this can withstand most things! Seems reliable and durable. I've noticed that sometimes setting up the CTL pedal for each patch can go wrong - I found if you do it at the same time you do the patch then you are fine - otherwise sometimes it doesn't always set up as expected.
Maybe the only thing that make it seem unreliable is that pedals are very close together and in a live situation you may not always see the CTL pedal easily. I think this would go on forever - it's built from sturdy metal and weighs a nnit so won't move around.

I use this to get the tones I need for Zeppelin (good to go from acoustic to overdrive with a press of the pedal), AC/DC, Sabbath, Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, Hendrix, Iron Maiden. I this was stolen I'd buy it again. I love the ease of use and the amp models.  I don't hate anything in it. I'm very pleased with it - the amp models are rocktastc and as I said they sound better than the DSL. Much easier to use than the GT100. Customer support said that its the same DSL chip as the GT100 and mostly same software but simpler to use (and less flexible).

adetheheat
    ME80. It has much better amp models. GT6 is from about 12 years ago when dsp wasn't that good.
    d4r3d3v1ln1l
    I use a squier bullet strat. I am a bit confused to decide whether I should buy a used GT 6 from my friend or a new ME 80. The price I'm getting is same for both. I have been using a Zoom G1XN for 1.5 years. Now I want to upgrade. Can anyone help me out here please? Qhich one should I buy? The ME 80 or the used GT 6?