ME-X Expandable Multiple Effects review by Boss

Boss: ME-X Expandable Multiple Effects

I use a John Petrucci signature through this into the loops of the board containing Boss ML-2, MT-2 and CE-5, the from the output of the board goes into my Laney amp. The board, being at least 10 years old doesn't make any noise you wouldn't then get if it wasn't in the chain from guitar to amp, which is good. However I do use extremely noisy pedals and handily, there is a noise threshold built in the board, which works perfect at 1 out of 15, even with full distortion on the metalcore pedal. There are many different types of chorus, flanger, pitch shifter even, and delay's and stuff that all work top quality in my opinion.

I play all sorts of metal/hard rock and for having something that can hold distortion for this music+solo dB booster(eq on board can increase volume), it's perfect. I've been playing for 2 years with several distortion pedals, a chorus and Boss wah, the board can only hold 3 compact pedals though, which is a shame. I don't think this could be stolen, quite heavy for running away with and too big to lose. My favourite thing about this is the patches, there are 25 memory slots to save loops (for compact pedals), effects, eq, delay etc., this makes it all so easy to use.

This is a totally reliable pedalboard/multi-effects board, come on, it's a Boss. I did step on it once where the tuner button is and there is a dent in the plastic along the side but it hasn't affected any equipment, besides it is at least 10 years old so you would expect some sort of dent or whatever. I would gig it without backup no doubt.

I would have to be honest here, it took me a while to figure out how to get the sounds I need. My dad gave it to me which he swapped with a friend 10 years ago for an Acoustic, he never saw his mate again since. Because of that, I didn't get a manual but luckily found one on the internet after a while of browsing. The multi-effects board is almost impossible to figure out without the manual, there are so many buttons and patches and settings you can do with this.