Micro BR Digital Recorder review by Boss

Boss: Micro BR Digital Recorder

The integral mic seems a little low on sensitivity, but the FX are great. The supplied drums sounds are good enough, and you can change drum kits. The only minor point wrt rhythms is that the patterns are only 4/4 (except metronome), which may be an issue for some. And, you cannot input your own rhythms, but you can link together the preset rhythms into arrangements. You cannot apply FX simultaneously to more than one track, but for a unit at this price, that is hardly surprising! It is a shame you cannot record guitar and ext mic simultaneously, though, but that is a smallish quibble.

All things considered, I think it is a fantastic unit, and for me, is money well spent. I wish I could have bought one 10 years ago. I would prefer if it supported 2GB SD cards, rather than just 1GB. There is much to commend about it, and I am hoping Boss decide to issue a ROM update to add some further software tweaks down the road.

It has not brokem on me yet, and I have dropped it a couple of times. I love the rubber feet which seem to anchor it nicely. It has a lovely shiny front (looks great), but it has a plastic shell. Battery use is heavy, so get the most powerful rechargeables you can afford. It plays mp3 files really well, so I am using it as an mp3 player too (but it does not support playlists).

Boss have thought out useability well. You do need to read the manual, but once you have done so, with a bit of practise it is easy to use. There are a a few limitations, and a number of things that I think could maybe be improved, but that does not take away from me thinking this is a great little unit. As there did not seem to be much of this kind of information available, I have made a note of them in my blog blog.colartz.com).

samhearn
    I have had one since late march 07, its not one of those things you can just pick up and use. I had to read the manual first, but when i had read the manual i could use it easily and swiftly, taking advantage of all its cool features.
    fade2dust
    this thing is awesome, ive actually made a thread in the original recordings forum where ive posted two of my songs which were entirely composed and recorded on the micro br, if anyones interested have a listen.
    Little-Legs
    Looks awesome! Fade2Dust. Love the recordings. Everythings super tight. Anyone been able to visit a music store a do compraison with br-600. If so is the BR-600 worth the extra cash. Cool Gear though.