Micro BR Digital Recorder review by Boss

Boss: Micro BR Digital Recorder

I've recorded by bands album on this, and no one (apart from a few other musicians) can tell it has not been done in a real studio. Vocals, the built in mic isn't so sensitive, and therefore not that great, although it does the job. I used a Shure microphone when recording vocals. Guitar, I've used all my guitars while recording with this thing (les paul black beauty, Satch signature Ibanez, Homemade frankenstrat and twin neck sg) and can safely say every guitar sounds amazing. there are and endless amount of preset effects (87 in total I think) and you can create your own, and because it's Boss you get loooads of their effects and pedals. My only quabble was that there is no straight clean simple sound, or plain destorted, they always have some sort of small (or heavily layered) effect, but to solve this problem I just lined out my Vox AC50 into the miccro br. Drums, many reviews have stated there are no simple beats, there are 380 drum patterns, one for every style of music. There are many simple drum patters, you just have to listen and find them! you can create your own rhythem patters, and set the tempo, and set tempo changes mid song and such. the drum Machine is absolutly amazing, soudns to good to be true (and occasionally is, espeacially at 220bpm). Just to add you can record drums using this mahcien and the built in mic, but they tent to be of awful sound quality even if you toy with the input level and such.

I play mainly 80's metal, 70's classic rock, 60's blues, and the occasional blast of Dragonforce. This device will cater for any style of music, guaranteed, no matter how 'different' your sound might be. I've been playing for 2 and a half years and have one 3 song writting competitions, and a playing competition, so am quite competant at recording. This Machine is hands down the best on the market for the price it is, and once you learn how to use it properly (took me a week to learn all the functions) it was a dream come true. All I'm limited by now is the fact there are only 4 tracks to record on! (so can only record 4 guitars independatly, or 3 guitars and vocal etc..). I wouldn't let this get stolne, but if it was I would definatly buy it again. my favourite features are probably the built effects, and the drum Machine. my least favourite is the poor vocal quality of the built in mic. I therefore wish it had a better mic, and therefore probably the ability to reocrd drums. I would reccomend this product to anyone wishing to record anything, at anytime, or any place. Just make sure you take spare batteries cause it tends to drink them pretty quick, or alternativly a universal charger.

I have dropepd it and bashed it with my guitar a few times now, and it's never broken. I would say it would withstand the majority of light blows. I have actually also lined the Micro Br into my amp aswell, allowing me to use it's effects and did this at a gig, however, you can only then use that effect for the whole song, so it is limiting in that effect, but sounds amazing!

As the other reviews state, read the manual first. Some of the people writting reviews clearly haven't, after a few hours of messing round with it you'll get the hang of the majority of features. It has many different functions, including a built in mic, jack slot for your guitar or bass (or any other instrument that can be connected via a jack lead e.g. keyboard) and the ability to line out your own amp (though this is not necesary due to the amazing built in effects). It can be connected to a computer via USB cable (I believe you have to purchase this yourself, but I got the Micro Br about 3 months ago and can't remember). Once you get the hang on the different feature sit will be you best friend

Time Seller
    PendulousThread wrote: so can you play to a click when your recording?
    Yes. Under rhythm, you can use various different metronomes (4/4 and all sorts of different settings) at varying tempos.
    demitriv
    Can you record directly from the amp, so if I have a drum machine plugged in it will record that as well?
    .cadence
    Everybody says to read the manual first. I got mine second hand. Uh-oh.