Micro BR Digital Recorder review by Boss

Boss: Micro BR Digital Recorder

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Kijiji - Used

I have recorded guitars, bass, drums and vocals on this unit, and if you mic properly with externals, the rest is just plug in and play. Line out from your amp or use the internal effects with direct imput for guitar and bass. The real bonus on this baby is the drum machine, and it really is amazing the beats and tones you can do. I usually program drum tracks on computer, but after some practice you can program whole tracks no problem! The MP3 trainer is super for learning solos with the time stretch, and with the tuner make it a tool for every guitar case!

The Boss Micro Br is one of the most useful things a budding guitarist or bassist could have, especially if you compose your own music or play multiple instruments. The recording studio and effects would be enough, but the drum machine, MP3 trainer and tuner make this a true essential for most guitarists. I have been playing for 30 years, and when I was 20 this would have been magic! Pure voodoo in box! Now I can buy it in perfect condition used for $150! This is just too easy, not to mention fun!

So far I have not had a major drop impact with it, and all the buttons, imputs and dials are good as new. The unit built to last, and I can tell the difference in quality from say, Digitech. Like I said, I have recorded full tracks, both live drums/vocals and pre-recorded drums and samples/loops, and it is awesome. I can also bounce tracks to the computer and use them in my software to do the final mixdowns, which I still do despite the capability of the Micro BR. As a portable unit, it has a limited interface. Tuner works fine, too.

This is a 4 track digital recording studio with an amazing amount of effects, all quality. I am sure it's the same algorithms as the pedals. There is a lot packed into this unit, so sit down with the manual and try the stuff as you read. It will all be fairly easy after a few tries, and then you will realize what you have here. Editing the drum patterns and effects is easy after you get the hang of it. You can record a full album with most everything built in, but the mic is basic. Use external mics for drums and vocals and you will be surprised. No firmware upgrade, but not needed.

HeavyMetalSonic
    The digital effects in this thing are about as crap as a modeling amp. Same thing. You can get away with passives, but actives sound like garbage. It sounds digital just like a Line 6.